Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 7.2(4) to 8.2(4) upgrade

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I'm getting ready to reload an ASA that will be a long drive if it doesn't come back up after this upgrade attempt.

Any words of advice before I reload this?  Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

As long as you fulfilled the Dram requirement for 5505 (512mb), you should be fine with version upgrade from 7.2(4) to 8.2.

I did upgraded one of my 5520 from 8.0 to 8.2 without meeting the Dram requirement , it still booted but gave me an error and a chance to revert back.

So, I think you will be fine.

Best of Luck

Manish

View solution in original post

Akhil B
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi Larry,

Hope the upgrade was done as per the path recommended by cisco, the upgrade path is from 7.2(x) --8.0(x)--- 8.2(x).  You can verify the image using " show bootvar", and check if the image is the right one. If you have any doudts with the new image we can also define a backup image just in case the primary image fails to boot up.

So this can be done by defining two images,

boot system flash:\asa824-k8.bin

boot system flash:\asa804-k8.bin

Now using show bootvar, you will see that there would be two images. Verify the configuration again and save it, and you can go ahead and reload the device, there shouldnt be any problem.

Regards,

AKhil

The upgrade can be done from from 7.2 to 8.2 and yes you will need 512 mb DRAM.

here's a good link for verification :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/release/notes/asarn82.html#wp315678

Manish

9 Replies 9

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

As long as you fulfilled the Dram requirement for 5505 (512mb), you should be fine with version upgrade from 7.2(4) to 8.2.

I did upgraded one of my 5520 from 8.0 to 8.2 without meeting the Dram requirement , it still booted but gave me an error and a chance to revert back.

So, I think you will be fine.

Best of Luck

Manish

thanks for your reply.

i thought the memory requirement only went up for 8.3 ?

Akhil B
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi Larry,

Hope the upgrade was done as per the path recommended by cisco, the upgrade path is from 7.2(x) --8.0(x)--- 8.2(x).  You can verify the image using " show bootvar", and check if the image is the right one. If you have any doudts with the new image we can also define a backup image just in case the primary image fails to boot up.

So this can be done by defining two images,

boot system flash:\asa824-k8.bin

boot system flash:\asa804-k8.bin

Now using show bootvar, you will see that there would be two images. Verify the configuration again and save it, and you can go ahead and reload the device, there shouldnt be any problem.

Regards,

AKhil

hi Akhil !

thanks for your reply and showing me how to setup a backup image. That's good to know.

i guess i got lucky on this one

came right back going directly from 7.2 to 8.2 no problem

The upgrade can be done from from 7.2 to 8.2 and yes you will need 512 mb DRAM.

here's a good link for verification :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/release/notes/asarn82.html#wp315678

Manish

thanks for the link and the advice !

Hi Larry,

Good to know the upgrade was a success.

Regards,

AKhil

Hope the upgrade was done as per the path recommended by cisco, the upgrade path is from 7.2(x) --8.0(x)--- 8.2(x). 

Akhil, can you show me a link that states this? I could really use that reference.

I'm having a hard time convincing others that this is true because we read in the 8.2(x) release notes that you must go from 7.0x to an interim release and in this case we are going from 7.2(4).

Would the reason for that be microcode programming that needs to be completed by those steps taken in the interim?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card