cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I edit a Switch Upgrade Group in ACI v5.1+?

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi experts.

I'm struggling with the abysmal user interface experience introduced in ACI v5.1 for upgrading switch firmware.

Having managed to blunder through an upgrade about a year ago using the new UI, I am now at the stage where I have my two upgrade groups defined (one for even numbered switches, one for odd), but the target version of these upgrade groups is n9000-15.3(2a)

I want to change the target version to n9000-16.0(5h).

In frustration, I've actually deleted the Odds_UpgrGrp and re-created it with the new target version, which isn't too big a deal in my lab which only has one spine and two leaves.

RedNectar_0-1711184044223.png

But I want to know what happens if I've added 100 switches to my upgrade group - how do I edit this group to change the target version. Or do I have to delete it and re-create it?

Now I appreciate that there is a shortcut and easy way of adding ALL odd numbered or all even numbered switches to a new upgrade group, so deleting a group and rep-creating it may not be such a big deal, but it bugs me that the intuitive process (edit the exiting group to point to a new target version) is so hard to find - it indeed it exists at all.

So I guess my question SHOULD be in two parts:

Is it possible to edit a Switch Upgrade Group in ACI V5.1+?

If so, how is this done.

And the obvious alternative question...

If not, WHY MAKE THIS WHOLE SWITCH UPGRADE PROCESS THING SO UN-INTUITIVE?

And it's not just the lack of an edit function here - there are other places in the process where normal rules of web user interface have been completely abandoned , making what SHOULD have been a much smother process almost impossible to complete until you stumble upon the secret places on the screen where you need to click, like some kind of convoluted adventure game.

But that is NOT the emphasis of this thread. I'm hoping someone has found the secret way of editing a Switch Upgrade Group and can tell me.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

OK. I've figured it

Once an Upgrade Group has been created and used once, reconfiguring the group to use a new Target Version of software requires some un-intuitive actions :

• The Actions menu gives NO OPTION to edit the Upgrade Group . (Why not?)
  • Selecting the Upgrade Group and clicking the ellipsis on the right-hand side  gives NO OPTION to to edit the Upgrade Group . (Why not?)
  • Hovering the cursor over the Completed Status message will show the number of downloads completed
  • The cursor will NOT change to indicate that the the Completed Status message is a clickable link!!!
  • To actually EDIT the Upgrade Group, you need to KNOW that you click the Completed Status message – but that's not all
    • When the next screen opens, you need to to KNOW that that to begin the EDIT the Upgrade Group process, you need to click the pencil icon
      • A window that can't be moved or resized appears
      • This window has not one menu labelled Actions, but two.
      • NEITHER Actions menu gives an OPTION to edit the Upgrade Group . (Why not?)
      • Hovering over the Completed Status message brings up some information, but (unlike the previous screen) clicking the Completed Status message does nothing, except make the information disappear.  So much for consistency.
    • Once you have found the obscure path to editing the Upgrade Group, you are taken through the Setup Switch Upgrade Group wizard again
    • A new Target Firmware can be selected
    • Validation checks are done again – which is nice
    • But there is no way to simply "save" the edited Switch Upgrade Group without beginning the download process

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

OK. I've figured it

Once an Upgrade Group has been created and used once, reconfiguring the group to use a new Target Version of software requires some un-intuitive actions :

• The Actions menu gives NO OPTION to edit the Upgrade Group . (Why not?)
  • Selecting the Upgrade Group and clicking the ellipsis on the right-hand side  gives NO OPTION to to edit the Upgrade Group . (Why not?)
  • Hovering the cursor over the Completed Status message will show the number of downloads completed
  • The cursor will NOT change to indicate that the the Completed Status message is a clickable link!!!
  • To actually EDIT the Upgrade Group, you need to KNOW that you click the Completed Status message – but that's not all
    • When the next screen opens, you need to to KNOW that that to begin the EDIT the Upgrade Group process, you need to click the pencil icon
      • A window that can't be moved or resized appears
      • This window has not one menu labelled Actions, but two.
      • NEITHER Actions menu gives an OPTION to edit the Upgrade Group . (Why not?)
      • Hovering over the Completed Status message brings up some information, but (unlike the previous screen) clicking the Completed Status message does nothing, except make the information disappear.  So much for consistency.
    • Once you have found the obscure path to editing the Upgrade Group, you are taken through the Setup Switch Upgrade Group wizard again
    • A new Target Firmware can be selected
    • Validation checks are done again – which is nice
    • But there is no way to simply "save" the edited Switch Upgrade Group without beginning the download process

brlehigh
Level 1
Level 1
It's not intuitive, but click on the icon for the upgrade group under the
"Status" column (i.e. "Completed", "Ready to Install", etc), and it should
launch a new status window. From there, click the pencil icon at the
top-right and you should be able to modify the various properties of the
upgrade group.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License