cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Chat History?

rrangel
Level 1
Level 1

From what I’m reading in the support forums, Jabber creates one file located at......

(C:\Users[userid]\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History).

Currently there is no way to delete this except by deleting the .db file that holds all history.  I'm looking for creative ways to remove these files every day (something besides a batch job).   My client doesn't want jabber history on local pc's. 

Is there any update on this?  Assuming there is already a feature request/enhancement in the works????

Thanks for your time and help!

20 Replies 20

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ryan

Could you not globally turn of client side logging on CUP? Or are you looking for a per user granular on/off logging which doesn't exist in CUP, only with Cloud

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/deployment/9_0_1/CUP0_BK_D41159BD_00_deployment-guide-for-cup_chapter_0101.html#CUP0_TK_A3ADAFEA_00

Srini

thank you very much.

Hi Srini,

I assume this feature is supported in the latest Jabber client?

Thanks

D.

Stopping CUP side logging is independant of the client side. So yes Jabber 9,2 and earlier supports it. Jabber 9.2 introduced a feature(if I am not mistaken) where chat messages in the chat window are kept till you sign off.

https://communities.cisco.com/message/121952#121952**

There is an undocumented way to clear chat every time you close the IM session

View the full discussion**

Srini

**Moderator: please note that these URL's are for a private space. You will need special authorization to access them.

Thanks Srini. I was specifically referring to the client side logging as referenced in the document you previously provided a link to which specifically mentions the client being able to support the use of the feature? Extract below. Does Jabber support this?  Thanks again. D.

Allow clients to log instant message history

You can prevent or allow users to log instant message history locally on their computer. On the client side, the application must support this functionality; it must enforce the prevention of instant message logging.

Yep Jabber does support it. If the setting is turned on, Jabber will log the messages to your PC. It is a global setting whereas in Cloud mode you get granular settings on groups assigned to users.

Thanks

Srini

Hi all,

Is there a way to store these history in a centralized location rather than individual PCs?

Thanks!

-JT-

Sure server side logging can be used to dump to a Post Gres SQL database and disable client side logging. Same with hosted messenger service which can then do a SMTP request to a logging server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/im_compliance/9_0_1/CUP0_BK_C74F2ECE_00_imp-im-compliance-guide-90.pdf

Thanks

Srini

Hi Srini,

You have mentioned and shared a document on how to enable server-side / centralized chat logging.  Do you have any documentation that explains the database schema for that?  I have the same document but it is for persistent group.  I am hoping I can have the schema for person to person chat. 

Hi Srinivasan,

I appreciate if you shed some light on the process of clearing the IM session when I close the window. Basically I want to have a fresh window when I decide to chat with the same person - without having to logout

There is an undocumented way to clear chat every time you close the IM session

Could not find the process to set this up.

Thx

See here from the BU

There is a config key to disable the chat history within a Jabber session (by disable i mean: you are in a chat with john doe and exchange some messages , you close the chat tab and then immediately start chat with john doe again: your previous conversation has dissappeared)

In order to disable chat history you will need to add the following line in your jabber-config.xml file and restart Jabber:

<Policies>

<disable_im_history>true</disable_im_history>

</Policies>

Please note that the same caveats exist for this key as before.

This is not an officially supported method of configuration. It is not included in the official docs has not been fully tested and is not guaranteed to work in all scenarios. Please do not consider any related issues found as defects on the supported Jabber feature set.

Thanks

Srini

Similar to post 12:

The history logging is still enabled by default in 9.6.1 and cannot be turned off in the UI.

To manually disable logging, exit Jabber and go to C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\ [or \Program Files (x86)\ for 64-bit systems] and edit the jabber-config-defaults.xml file.

In the Policies section, add the following line:

<userConfig name="Disable_im_history" value="True"/>

Save and close the file.  Relaunch Jabber.  No more chat histories are preserved.

Keep in mind, as Srini noted, this isn't an officially supported method and is not included in official docs.

If there is an officially documented means to disable this, please reply.

Hi All,

can someone please refresh my memory on how to enable/allow chat history in CUPS to show up in Jabber?  currently our users cannot see their history, thank you.