Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 control , ESX cluster, VEM ip addressing

baptiste_a
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am taking care of a design involving nexus 1010 and a cluster of ESX ( for now two ESXs ).

We are going to use l3 control as there is a couple of firewalls between the nexus 1010 and the ESX hosts.

I don't have much knowledge about ESX so I have a question about the implementation of the VEMs on the ESX cluster :

My plan is to create a new vmk interface for l3 control on the ESX in the same subnet as the ESX management one.

My question is how many ip addresses for L3 control will I need for a cluster of 2 ESX ? My guess is that I need one vmk interface per ESX ( same as management ) but I haven't found any information about this so far, so I want to make sure it's the case.

Thank you

Regards

Baptiste

2 Replies 2

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do not put the new vmk interface on the same subnet as your mgmt vmk. Unfortunately VMware uses a single tcp/ip stack for the vmks and when it sees two vmks with the same subnet it doesn't always forward the traffic up the path you want. I would recommend migrating your mgmt vmk to the VEM module.If you don't want to do that then create a new vmk on a different subnet and assign that to the VEM. Be aware that if you do this you might need to create a static route on the ESXi host so that the new vmk knows how to get to the VSM.

If you have more questions let us know.

louis

Hello Louis,

thanks for your feedback. Using a new subnet won't be easy for me so I guess I will use the ESX management vmk that I will migrate to VEM.

Cheers

Baptiste