Views
Helpful
Replies

License upgrade with multiple license files

j1mbo78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anybody answer the following question for me?

I have a 5-host cluster of ESX servers all using evaluation licenses.

My customer has now purchased enough licenses to convert all of their evaluation licenses to permanent (they have 10 licenses, one per CPU per host).

I have converted from evaluation licenses to permanent licenses before in a different environment without issue however in that case there was 1 license file containing all of the licenses.  In this particular environment I have 10 separate license files to install.

My question is - as I can only install each license file one at a time with the [license install] command, when I install the first license, will this remove the evaluation license and leave the other VEMs unlicensed until I install the other 9 .lic files?  If this is the case, will this cause the vEth interfaces on those VEMs to be removed from the VSM until the license files are installed?

I have read through all of the licensing documentation and find it a little inconclusive, it does state that a license upgrade is non-service affecting but also states that unlicensed VEMs will be removed.

If anybody has some thoughts to share on this topic I'd really appreciate it.

Many Thanks,

James Smith

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My question is - as I can only install each license file one at a time with the [license install] command, when I install the first license, will this remove the evaluation license and leave the other VEMs unlicensed until I install the other 9 .lic files?  If this is the case, will this cause the vEth interfaces on those VEMs to be removed from the VSM until the license files are installed?

Jim

As you install new licenses your eval VEM modules will start checking out a new permanent license one by one.  As long as you have time remaining on your eval licenses the remaining VEMs will remain operational.  If the eval time runs out and there are not enough permanent licenses those VEMs will go into a "unlicensed" state. When VEMs are unlicensed, the vEthernet interfaces on the  VEMs are removed from service and the traffic flowing to them from  virtual machines is dropped. Your eval license starts the day you install the VSM and doesn't stop.  Even when you install permanent licenses the eval clock will continue to run out.  Give yourself ample time to get the permanent licenses installed prior to your eval licenses running out to avoid issues.

Also keep in mind when you purchase permanent licenses, make sure to  request enough licenses to cover all of your installed CPUs in all of  your VEMs. Before licenses are applied to a VEM, enough licenses must be  available to cover all of the CPUs in that VEM. If you are short by one  CPU, then no licenses are applied to the VEM.

Robert

Thanks Robert,

That's exactly the answer I was looking for!

Cheers,

James