cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Orphaned 1Kv dvSwitch?

nashwj
Level 1
Level 1

Had someone that cleared the configuration on their VSM the other day without saving it first (was doing an initial configuration).  Basically, somehow a new VSM that was brought up to be secondary became primary and replicated a blank configuration to the existing VSM.  Now it's back to a clean switch.  The problem is that the original dvSwitch and port-groups still show in vCenter.  Can we clear those out to start a new installation.  I've done an uninstall when the 1Kv was alive..that's easy..but never without removing things via the VSM first.

23 Replies 23

Hi Sachin,

No luck. Seems like original key might be missing?

N1KV-VSM1(config-svs-conn)# vmware vc extension-key Cisco_Nexus_1000V_1307729650
N1KV-VSM1(config-svs-conn)# show vmware vc extension-key
Extension ID: Cisco_Nexus_1000V_1307729650
N1KV-VSM1(config-svs-conn)# connect
ERROR: [VMware vCenter Server 4.0.0 build-208111] Extension key was not registered before its use.

You'll have to register the "new" key as well as a VC plugin

Sorry, might not have been totally clear on that one. We did register the new key of

Cisco_Nexus_1000V_644329928

It was showing up as an extension within vCenter.

What I do notice is if I change my 1KV name to, say, N1KV-VSM2, I can connect using the "new" key. For some reason I cannot connect to vCenter with the old VSM hostname.

N1KV-VSM2(config-svs-conn)# sh vmware vc extension-key
Extension ID: Cisco_Nexus_1000V_1307729650
N1KV-VSM2(config-svs-conn)# vmware vc extension-key Cisco_Nexus_1000V_644329928
N1KV-VSM2(config-svs-conn)# connect
N1KV-VSM2(config-svs-conn)# show svs connections

connection vcenter:
    ip address: 10.1.48.104
    remote port: 80
    protocol: vmware-vim https
    certificate: default
    datacenter name: SLI Datacenter
    DVS uuid: dd 57 3a 50 79 7b bc c4-dd 6c 0a e3 fd 69 4e 5f
    config status: Enabled
    operational status: Connected
    sync status: Complete
    version: VMware vCenter Server 4.0.0 build-208111
N1KV-VSM2(config-svs-conn)# no m
mac       monitor  
N1KV-VSM2(config-svs-conn)# no vmware dvs
This will remove the DVS from the vCenter Server and any associated port-groups. Do you really want to proceed(yes/no)? [yes] y

We got it removed.

What we ended up doing was unregistering the "new" key, editing the .xml file to be Cisco_Nexus_1000V_1307729650, and registering it. Once I did that, I was able to connect with my old hostname and wipe out all the old, stale DVS config. Worked like a charm.

Pretty much what you said on the last page.. thank you.

Check which extension keys are currently registered on your vCenter.

https://<vCenter IP>/mob/?moid=ExtensionManager

You might need to un-registerd the existing ones, and the re-regsiter the one from your recovered VSM.

Robert

Hey Robert,

Yep! That's what we ended up having to do, with a manual edit of the .xml file.

We pasted in the key that we saw in the error message, and we were able to connect with no issues. Once I got connected I issued a 'no vmware dvs' to blow out all the old configuration. Afterwards, we created a new VSM, unregistered the key we recovered with, and installed the new extension. My new VSM is connected to vCenter and I'm able to push port-profiles through with no issues.

Hi,

what if you are not sure of the hostname that you had earlier given to the switch. talk of everything going wrong, i didnt even have a backup of my config..

is there a place i can find the hostname of the orphaned dvs?

i appreciate your response

If you still have a VEM host with the agent installed on it you can find it from the opaque data

~ # vemcmd show card

Card UUID type  2: 0a000000-0700-0000-0a00-07000000000e

Card name: sv-vsphere02

Switch name: n1000v-BL1

Switch alias: DvsPortset-0

Switch uuid: 19 15 00 50 3b 3c f4 94-1c d6 ab d7 88 63 85 e6

Card domain: 4000

<snip>

If not, I'll have to see if you can pull the switchname out of the opaque data of the vCenter MOB.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks mate... its gone. lesson learnt.