Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC

In vPC does the vPC peer link carry traffic of a non vPC vlan?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Suprit,

By definition, a vPC VLAN is any VLAN that is trunked across the vPC Peer-Link. Based upon that definition, the vPC Peer-Link cannot carry traffic of a non-vPC VLAN. A separate Layer 2 trunk between the two vPC peers that is not designated as the vPC Peer-Link would need to be created in order to move traffic between the two vPC peers in a non-vPC VLAN.

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

View solution in original post

Hi Suprit,

No, that is not possible. As I mentioned before, if a VLAN is carried across the vPC Peer-Link, then definitionally, it is a vPC VLAN, not a non-vPC VLAN.

Thank you!

-Christopher

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jay..
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

As soon as the vlan is created and active on both devices, it can carry the traffic (however, your vlan has to be fabricpath if your vpc peers are using fabricpath). If not, it won't carry it

Christopher Hart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Suprit,

By definition, a vPC VLAN is any VLAN that is trunked across the vPC Peer-Link. Based upon that definition, the vPC Peer-Link cannot carry traffic of a non-vPC VLAN. A separate Layer 2 trunk between the two vPC peers that is not designated as the vPC Peer-Link would need to be created in order to move traffic between the two vPC peers in a non-vPC VLAN.

I hope this helps - thank you!

-Christopher

So, by default vPC peer-link does not carry traffic for non vPC vlan. But do we have any situations it can?

Hi Suprit,

No, that is not possible. As I mentioned before, if a VLAN is carried across the vPC Peer-Link, then definitionally, it is a vPC VLAN, not a non-vPC VLAN.

Thank you!

-Christopher