Views
Helpful
Replies

VSUM and N1Kv for vSphere 6.0.0 Issue

alex_aasen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I just got a hold of the newest version of VSUM 1.5.5 to our vSphere 6.0.0 environment. This all seemed great until I tried adding a physical host to the DVS. The issue experienced is the following:

vSphere Web Client Home menue --> Cisco Virtual Switch Update Manager --> Nexus1000v --> Configure --> "Choose DC" --> "Choose DVS" --> Manage --> Add host --> "Try and add a host". And when I try accessing either choice, the "An internal error has happened". So the physical hosts cannot be joined to the N1Kv DVS from here.

Trying another approach to add hosts by "right clicking" the N1Kv SW under the Networking Tab gets me a bit further.

Network Tab --> Right click N1Kv DVS --> Add and Manage Hosts... --> Add host --> "Select host" --> Manage physical adapters --> Assign Uplink and choose the manually generated Ethernet Uplink group made in the VSM --> OK --> Then the error message "The number of physical network adapters per host exceeds the number of uplink ports" appears

Which does not make sense as the uplink port created has a upper limit of like 512 uplink ports.

The port profile has a very basic profile:

port-profile type ethernet UPLINK

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan all

no sh

system enable

vmware port-group

system vlan 100

I tried installing different N1KV versions, but with no luck, got the same outcome.

According to the VSUM documentation this should have been really straight forward.

Any idea on what might have gone wrong?

32 Replies 32

pritishp333
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alexander Aasen,

Looks like its an issue specific to vSphere 6.

On the vCenter 6 web client you are facing this issue, where it says "The number of physical network adapters per host exceeds the number of uplink ports", as far as I can understand, maybe its a bug in web client.

Try this:

1. Install the appropriate VEM on the ESXi host manually. confirm via typing "vem status -v" on the ESXi host cli. the vmpda service should be running.

2. Use the vSphere desktop client to connect to vCenter server and choose the Nexus 1000v DVS. Follow the GUI to add the ESXi host. It should work.

Note: even after adding the ESXi host by this method, the vSphere web client will continue to show the same error of number of physical adapters per host exceeds uplink ports...etc.

Good Luck!

You got the right answer. It is all the web client's fault.

I have followed your manual installation tip. And voila desktop client works correctly flawlessly.

Has a fix been developed for this yet?