Views
Helpful
Replies

15024 PAP is not allowed

alliasneo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm getting this error whenever I log into the client Windows 11 machine. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Steps

11001Received RADIUS Access-Request
 11017RADIUS created a new session
 11027Detected Host Lookup UseCase (Service-Type = Call Check (10))
 15049Evaluating Policy Group
 15008Evaluating Service Selection Policy
 15048Queried PIP - DEVICE.Device Type
 11034Process Host Lookup is disabled. (Service-Type = Call Check (10) cannot be applied)
 15024PAP is not allowed
 11003Returned RADIUS Access-Reject

I don't have PAP enabled in the authentication allowed screen as I want to use EAP-TLS. If I enable PAP/ASCII and try again I get a different error:

Event5400 Authentication failed
Failure Reason22056 Subject not found in the applicable identity store(s)

It looks like it's trying to find the MAC address in AD and not the username...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@alliasneo1 that explains why is fails over to MAB then.

A normal user (none administrator) has access to their own certificate store, you should have a user certificate here:-

RobIngram_0-1710496360635.png

If you do not have a user certificate probably the GPO to auto enroll for user certificate is not configured correctly or applied to this user/machine.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Call back is for MAB and your SW use PAP for username and password 
if you can not change the behave of SW change the host lookup in ISE policy 

MHM

Hi, Could you explain a little more about this please? 

So the switch uses PAP for username and password? -But it's the PC that is authenticating? 

How do I change the behavior of the switch? or where would I change the host lookup option?

thanks

Thanks. The thing is though, I don't want the authentication to fall back to MAB. I want the user to use the certificate from the machine to authenticate against ISE.

I have a Machine certificate (which is working correctly) and I have a user certificate.

share the config of SW port

MHM

The switchport config is:

int g1/0/23
switchport access vlan xx
switchport mode access
authentication host-mode multi-auth
authentication port-control auto
authentication event fail action next-method
authentication order dot1x mab
mab
dot1x pae authenticator
dot1x timeout tx-period 10
spanning-tree portfast

@alliasneo1 so you've not got MAB enabled as an allowed protocol (as per the output above). Assuming the switch is setup to allow 802.1X and fall over to MAB then I assume the client is not configured to use 802.1X for user authentication? What is the configuration of the client windows supplicant? Do the users have a user certificate in the user cert store?

The certificate is installed on the PC via Group Policy.

If I got to adapter settings on the PC I can see that dot1x is enabled and this is being pushed via GP. 802.1x enabled, use smartcard of certificate.

These are ticked.

alliasneo1_0-1710430870179.png

@alliasneo1 so there is a certificate in the user certificate store?

If there wasn't that would explain why it's failed over to attempt MAB.

Hi,

I've checked the certmgr console and added the certificates - current user snap in. When I click on Personal, it says 'there are no items to show in this view' and at the bottom it says 'Personal Store contains no certificates'.

Is this a Group Policy thing that isn't showing me the certs or does that mean it is actually empty and the cert hasn't been pushed to the machine? Is there any other way of looking at user certs?

@alliasneo1 that explains why is fails over to MAB then.

A normal user (none administrator) has access to their own certificate store, you should have a user certificate here:-

RobIngram_0-1710496360635.png

If you do not have a user certificate probably the GPO to auto enroll for user certificate is not configured correctly or applied to this user/machine.