cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the 3415 VM specs to 3495 causing High Disk Utilization

umahar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We had Admin Nodes running on 3415 VM which was giving us high CPU utilization issues.

In order to change the specs to 3495 we powered down the VM and raised the CPU to 8 core and Memory to 32 GB which solved the problem of high CPU utilization.

However we are seeing High Disk Utilization Alarms for Primary Admin Node which we were not seeing when the VM was running at 3415.

We also did fresh install of Secondary Admin Node from OVA 3495 template and it is not throwing this alarm.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would suggest to check ISE CLI "tech top" on ISE and on the VMware UI for the performance graphs. In the past after resizing the memory, I've seen on some ESXi host exhibiting this issue:

Balloon driver retains hold on memory causing virtual machine guest operating system performance issues (1003470) | VMware KB

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would suggest to check ISE CLI "tech top" on ISE and on the VMware UI for the performance graphs. In the past after resizing the memory, I've seen on some ESXi host exhibiting this issue:

Balloon driver retains hold on memory causing virtual machine guest operating system performance issues (1003470) | VMware KB

umahar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks a lot.

We are running ESX 6.X so the above link does not apply.

I have asked the customer to open a Vmware ticket. Do you have any other link that is applicable to ESX 6.x

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The key is to check whether the VM memory performance graph showing signs of using balloon memory. I only saw it once at one of the field engineer's setup. IIRC it seems associated with ESXi upgrade.