cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

COA to Change Endpoint VLAN when Posture status is Compliant, MacOS does not refresh IP.

Nate Zhang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Experts,

We would like to assign different Vlan when Posture checking results to Compliant or Non-compliant as below.

Posture Compliant ---> AuthZ profile Vlan100 (10.1.1.0/24)

Posture Non-compliant or Posture Unknown ---> AuthZ profile Vlan200 (10.1.2.0/24)

On Windows (we are using NAM as the supplicant), everything seems works fine and the call flow is;

Endpoint onboard ->> Endpoint gets an IP in 10.1.2.0/24 (because of endpoint belongs to Unknown before/during posture check) -->> Posture completed and confirm Compliant -->> Endpoint refresh new IP to 10.1.1.0/24

The issue is on MacOS in the last step. MacOS somehow never refreshes his IP address.

The question is 'Is it not something commonly used?'. 

I have gone through some online articles and understand we could use dACL or SGT to achieve limiting the non-compliant device talks to Internal resources. Just want to confirm if this depends on endpoint behavior or something we should change on ISE or WLC/Switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Surendra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
This behaviour depends on the end supplicant. Typically when you change the VLAN on the fly, supplicant will not be aware of the VLAN change and may never refresh the IP address. NAM has a periodic check done to identify VLAN changes by pinging the default gateway/ARP requests and if it recognizes a change in the VLAN, it signals the OS to change the IP address. If I were you, I would rather uses dACLs and SGTs since they do not have any dependency on the supplicants. Also, try changing the AnyConnect Posture Profile value of “Ping or ARP” under IP Address Change to ARP and see if it helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Surendra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
This behaviour depends on the end supplicant. Typically when you change the VLAN on the fly, supplicant will not be aware of the VLAN change and may never refresh the IP address. NAM has a periodic check done to identify VLAN changes by pinging the default gateway/ARP requests and if it recognizes a change in the VLAN, it signals the OS to change the IP address. If I were you, I would rather uses dACLs and SGTs since they do not have any dependency on the supplicants. Also, try changing the AnyConnect Posture Profile value of “Ping or ARP” under IP Address Change to ARP and see if it helps.