Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Admin Certificate - Browsers still happy with certs > 398 days

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello,

ISE 3.1 displays a great warning when trying to import an Admin certificate with a lifetime of greater than 398 days. It's well known that Apple started this trend, and I have not tested whether Safari enforces this yet. But I can confirm that I was able to install a 5 year certificate, and neither Firefox, Chrome nor Edge had any complaints about it.  I have to add, that the cert was created by internal PKI, and not from a public CA (I assume public CAs no longer issue certs >12 months)

Has anyone had a bad experience with a cert that is valid for such a long lifetime?

Below is the message in ISE 3.1 when trying to import such a certificate.

398days.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Was the cert you installed a private PKI certificate? The change was specific to publicly trusted certificates and not internal PKI. 

https://www.ssl.com/blogs/398-day-browser-limit-for-ssl-tls-certificates-begins-september-1-2020/

"My company has a privately trusted root CA. Are privately trusted SSL/TLS certificates subject to the new 398-day limit?

No. Apple’s change only extends to publicly trusted root CA certificates pre-installed on its devices, including SSL.com’s roots. Root certificates installed by a user or administrator are not affected by the 398-day restriction."

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Was the cert you installed a private PKI certificate? The change was specific to publicly trusted certificates and not internal PKI. 

https://www.ssl.com/blogs/398-day-browser-limit-for-ssl-tls-certificates-begins-september-1-2020/

"My company has a privately trusted root CA. Are privately trusted SSL/TLS certificates subject to the new 398-day limit?

No. Apple’s change only extends to publicly trusted root CA certificates pre-installed on its devices, including SSL.com’s roots. Root certificates installed by a user or administrator are not affected by the 398-day restriction."

Wow that's a revelation! I had no idea that it was that subtle. In that case it makes sense to make the cert a bit longer lived to avoid that annual hassle of cert renewals (and application restarts).

Never had any issues with internal certifcates as @Damien Miller mentioned.  For public certificates on guest portal though, I have had guest endpoints not trust the certificate once the 398th day has passed.