cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS licensing issue

DSterling
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we have 2 Cisco ISE (3615s) that are configured in a failover configuration:

Current version is 2.6.0.5, I get the following message: 

ISE license expired. "Base license has expired for more then 45 days, you now have very limited access"

We only need only TACACS.

Base license expired, Device Admin license - permanent 

We have the following licenses for ISEs (see fig 1): 

DSterling_0-1709321014099.png

Fig. 1

I'm getting conflicting information from other tech's saying the ISE needs to be upgrade to 3.0 or earlier before the license can be applied. Since we only need a base license is that required? 

How would I go about getting the base license, is it available according to Fig. 1 or will it need to be purchased. 

4 Replies 4

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @DSterling ,

Your ISE version is 2.6.0.5 and for this version the licensing model include Base, Plus, Apex and Tacacs licenses. From your shared screenshot of your Smart Accounts portal, I can see that you have 32 TACACS licenses that are in compliance.

I also see 450 Advantage licenses that are not in compliance because the same number of licenses, 450, are reserved. Specific License Registration (SLR) is a feature used to consume licenses from Cisco Smart Accounts for devices in air-gapped networks.

I'm not sure what are the purpose of the 450 Advantage licenses and why they are Reserved, but it shouldn't affect your ISE 2.6 because Advantage licenses are used starting with ISE 3.0.

Can you provide a screen shot of the license consumption from the Licensing dashboard at: Administration > System > Licensing in order to see why you are getting the "Base license has expired for more then 45 days, you now have very limited access"?

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

I can't give you a screen shot, but it's a secure network.

For our ISEs we have some info in the Cisco Software Central product instances for the license, It goes by SN of the ISE device and I don't see the ISE device that has the expired base license. Maybe we need to apply a new license, unsure how to do that? When I log into the ISE device it only allows to import the license information? 

@DSterling wrote:

I can't give you a screen shot, but it's a secure network.

Ok. I understand.

For our ISEs we have some info in the Cisco Software Central product instances for the license, It goes by SN of the ISE device and I don't see the ISE device that has the expired base license. Maybe we need to apply a new license, unsure how to do that? When I log into the ISE device it only allows to import the license information? 

Try looking for each of your ISE servers at the Licensing dashboard at: Administration > System > Licensing where you should see how licenses are consumed for each of your servers.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@DSterling 

For ISE 2.6 valid license options include:

• ISE Base only

• ISE Base and Plus

• ISE Base and Apex

• ISE Base and Device Administration

• ISE Base, Plus, Apex, and Device Administration

• ISE Base, Plus, Apex and AnyConnect Apex

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-6/admin_guide/Workflow/html/b_license_2_6.html

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/