cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connectivity between Nexus VDC and vPC

mikemoore72
Level 1
Level 1

I recently read that by using VDCs you could virtualize a multilayer swtiched network.  In the attached drawing I tried to imagine creating two VDCs on each physical switch.  I then attempted to draw a vPC configured between a VDC named "L2" on each switch. 

I annotated in the drawing that the "Core" and "L2" VDCs would be connected via physical interfaces allocated to each VDC.  I imagine the independant "Core" VDCs on each switch providing Layer 3 connectivity to the Internet edge (Firewalls and Internet facing routers).  Would this be a valid design to use as the core of a fairly small network?

vdc2.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chad Peterson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

The Nexus 5500s do not have the ability to use VDCs.  The Nexus 7000s do, so to do something like this you would have to use them.

Chad

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chad Peterson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

The Nexus 5500s do not have the ability to use VDCs.  The Nexus 7000s do, so to do something like this you would have to use them.

Chad

I am currently trying to learn about the Nexus platform.  For some reason I thught that the older 5000s did not support VDCs but the newer generation did.  Thank you for pointing out my mistake.