Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding new Vlan to existing VRF

gurowar
Level 1
Level 1

Good day all;

I am trying to add an new vlan I created to an existing VRF connection.   This new vlan will connect directly to my existing AWS connection...so:

L2 switch(new subnet1) --Trunk-->L3 switch (new vlan)  + existing vlan ---BGP --> AWS

So what I am trying to do is I crated a new subnet and trunked it to the L3 switch.  On the L3 switch created the New Vlan. What I am trying to do is using the interface that peers with AWS to do an overload NAT for the New Van. I thought all I needed to do was on the New Vlan do this:

New Vlan

ip vrf forwarding Existing AWS

ip address 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.0

but when I add the "ip vrf forwarding" statement into the New Vlan it removes the IP address.  How do I add a new vlan/subnet to an existing VRF?  I didn't do anything else as once I crated the New Vlan and the subnet was removed I stopped.  I was thinking of adding the new subnet to the existing prefix-list but since the subnet was removed I don't think that will work.  First time having to deal with VRF.

Thank you in advance!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is default 

Do

Ip vrf forwarding 

Then 

Add IP address 

If you add ip address before IP vrf forwarding the IP will remove automatically.

MHM

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

That is default 

Do

Ip vrf forwarding 

Then 

Add IP address 

If you add ip address before IP vrf forwarding the IP will remove automatically.

MHM

I see that worked, ok great thank you sir!!!

gurowar
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm let me see if I can explain better, I have an existing connection into AWS as follows

Internet Network --> Firewall --> edge L3 SW  Vlan AWS BGP peers with AWS--> AWS

What I am trying to do is take the firewall out and go from New subnet (L2 SW) to the edge (L3 SW) and on to AWS. 

L2 SW(New subnet) --Trunk--> L3 SW (created New Vlan) trying to add this to existing AWS connection and use Existing VLAN interface to do an overload so everything from the NEW vlan will be PAT.  But when I get on the L3 switch on the New Vlan and issue the command

ip vrf forwarding Existing VLAN(AWS)

I received that the IP address will be removed from the New Vlan.  Hope this helps

Thank you agian!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card