cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any way to reduce CSR1000v load on CPU in EVE-NG?

TheAnalyst
Level 1
Level 1

Any way to reduce CSR1000v load on CPU in EVE-NG? It is very CPU Intensive and increases the temperature very much. I need to lab SR and I know of no other image for regular IOS or IOS-XE that supports that.

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not really if you need to deploy high end PoC and test it, you need that compute and RAM for the features to work.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I am totally with you 
I have CPU 12 cores and I assign 8 cores to VM and can not run csr

sorry for that 

MHM

Exactly! Even with 2 CPUs and 40 cores, I still see this and I have not even configured it with any feature! 

Any other image supporting SR?

sure there XRv which is dedicate for SP
if I have 40 cores sure I will use XRv

MHM 

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

This situation might be unique to EVE-NG. I run CML on a bare-metal 2x 12c Xeon with 256GB RAM. Using CML's defaults of 1 vCPU and 3GB vRAM, CSR1Kv 17.3.4a (image on 2.7 refplat) boots and is ready for action (green checkmark) in about 2.5 minutes.

Running a single CSR1Kv instance with no user config (default Day 0 config only), CML says <1% of its CPU is being utilized along with 1.6% of RAM.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

Wow! I will sure try CML!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have not used EVE-NG, but (many) years ago, first time I used GNS3 it had a feature to analyze a running IOS that would dramatically reduce its CPU usage.  Don't know if GNS3 still has this feature or whether EVE-NG has anything similar.

I do see on EVE-NG site's home page there's mention of the CPU Watchdog feature and release notes mentions a fix daemon capdog/cpulimit, but couldn't find additional details.

I too, like Jim (@Ramblin Tech) had thought to mention CML as an alternative, but as you didn't mention what license variant of EVE-NG you were running, didn't know whether CML's subscription fee would be an impediment.  (If CML still offers, they had provided a temporary web lab version that's free.)

Also, I've never loaded up the CSR1000v node, and wanted to try doing so, which I did a short time ago.

My personal PC, on which I run CML is Windows 10, 16 GB RAM with a 4 GHz Quad core AMD Ryzen 3 2300X, likely much less powerful than Jim's system.

Further, I run CML under VM Workstation v5.

When I booted up a CSR1000v node, it took several minutes (pegging my one core).  Once booted up, CPU usage fell to under 2%, but memory footprint was about 45% of the 8 GB I've allocated to the VM.

When I attempted to boot up another CSR100v, it failed for lack of hardware resources, memory I presume.

I stopped the first instance, and attempted to boot the two CSR100v nodes, concurrently.

Surprisingly, this succeeded, using about 90% of my lab's memory, CPU fell to about 2%, but I kept getting CML controller pop-ups that its launch was being paused because of over commitment.  Did get a (apparently) working command link on both CSR1000v nodes, though.

Your are totally right and CML must be great in this. I have EVE pro and community and PnetLab. They all use the same engine so the result is the same.

However, I tried csr1000v-17-03-06 and CPU usage on this image is very low (1 to 2 percent) and I am gonna use this. It supports SR so the version is not gonna be so important.

Thank you and everyone else for the help.

Hello
Have you checked your vm and eve settings, 
I have no issue running 10 + CSR nodes  within eve-ng -  although I do have quite a good barebones server (16core/128mb) to run it on and eve-ng is the professional licence 

see attached files for reference

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Like I said, on my server (2X E5-2690v2, 20 cores each, 128GB RAM), with csr1000v-17-03-06 I have no problem!

Thanks for the insight.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card