cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router C891F IKEv2 Site-to-Site Setup

IWSup
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently taken over a site that utilizes a Cisco Router to act as their public facing device/firewall. I have been tasked with setting up a IKEv2 S2S tunnel with one of our external vendors, and it will need to be setup on this router.

I have watched a few videos and read through many articles to attempt to set up the connection, but as soon as I applied it to the WAN interface, I brought the site down. I have reverted this change, but I am stuck on where I went wrong.

The site I am connecting to uses the following setting to information on their side of the tunnel.

remote Public IP:

Local Public IP:

Pre-Shared Keys:
SharedKey123

Protocol - IKEv2

Phase 1:
Encryption: aes-256
Auth: sha256
dh group: group 20,21,19,14 (can take any of these)
lifetime: (24 hours)

Phase 2:
Protocol: ESP
Encryption: aes-256
Auth: sha256
dh group: no pfs
lifetime: 4 hours

The commands I used on the router to try and set up our end of the connection is as follows. Things were good until I applied the crypto map to the Interface (last command).

crypto ikev2 keyring keyring-tickets
peer tickets
address 1.1.1.1
pre-shared-key local SharedKey123
pre-shared-key remote SharedKey123

crypto ikev2 proposal proposal-tickets
encryption aes-cbc-256
integrity sha256
group 14

crypto ikev2 profile profile-tickets
match identity remote address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255
identity local address 2.2.2.2
authentication remote pre-share
authentication local pre-share
keyring local keyring-tickets

crypto ikev2 policy policy-tickets
proposal proposal-tickets

crypto ipsec transform-set trans-tickets esp-aes 256 esp-sha256-hmac
mode tunnel

ip access-list extended acl-tickets
permit ip any any

crypto map map-tickets 10 ipsec-isakmp
set peer 1.1.1.1
set transform-set trans-tickets
set ikev2-profile profile-tickets
match address acl-tickets

interface gigabitEthernet 8
crypto map map-tickets

What am I missing here? First time managing a Cisco router, so I am learning as I go, unfortunately on a production environment.

Thanks!

12 Replies 12

The config is correct 

Did you ping from Lan to Lan?

Also I am sure you config the ACL but I need confirmation 

MHM

I did not have the chance to ping LAN to LAN. I work remote, and applying the Crypto Map to the interface dropped my connection to the environment. Calling the site, I found internet access to the entire environment went down.

I ended up having an on site user, reboot the router to revert the changes to bring them back online.

What do you mean by config the ACL?

If it helps any, the config to the WAN port I added to the Crypto Map too is the following (before I applied the Crypto Map):

interface GigabitEthernet8
ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.248
ip access-group FIREWALL_ACL in
ip flow ingress
ip nat outside
ip inspect FIREWALL_INSPECT out
ip virtual-reassembly in
duplex auto
speed auto
no cdp enable

The config for interface explain the issue of Ipsec VPN, I will check some note and answer you max tomorrow 

Thanks

MHM

##For Ipsec VPN I see you use any any this wrong change it to allow local-lan to remote-lan

##interface GigabitEthernet8
ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.248
ip access-group FIREWALL_ACL in<-this need to included 

Udp 500

Udp 4500

Esp 

Udp 50

These four port need for Ipsec  VPN
ip flow ingress
ip nat outside <-you use NAT overload so you need to excluded the traffic from local Lan to remote Lan in acl of NAT using deny IP local-lan remote-lan
ip inspect FIREWALL_INSPECT out<-this inspect if it include any rule deny traffic to remote Lan remove it
ip virtual-reassembly in
duplex auto
speed auto
no cdp enable

@IWSup your crypto ACL acl-tickets that defines the interesting traffic to encrypt is matching on all/any traffic, so if the tunnel established it would want to encrypt and tunnel all traffic to the peer.

ip access-list extended acl-tickets
permit ip any any

You'd want to amend the acl-tickets ACL to explictly specify which traffic should be tunneled to the peer, not any. This ACL would need to be mirrored on the peer side.

Example:

ip access-list extended 101
permit ip 10.10.3.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.8.0 0.0.3.255

Also check the ACL FIREWALL_ACL permits IPSec traffic (udp/500, esp and possibly udp/4500, if NAT between peers) from the peer IP, in order to establish a tunnel.

@Rob IngramThanks for the information, that makes sense. So the IP access list should only define the LAN to LAN traffic from each side of the VPN tunnel?

ip access-list extended 101
 permit ip LocalLAN Subnet RemoteLAN Subnet

Regarding the Firewall_ACL, I am not seeing those on the list. Would I want something along the following lines added to the Fireawall_ACL?

Permit udp host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2 eq 500
Permit udp host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2 eq 4500

Is there a need to define a destination, or would the following be better?

Permit udp host 1.1.1.1 any eq 500
Permit udp host 1.1.1.1 any eq 4500

Note, there appears to be a "permit esp any any" already in place, so we should be good there.

@IWSup yes, correct for the crypto ACL.

For the inbound Firewall_ACL is NAT used between the path between you and the peer? If no then you need to permit ESP instead of NAT-T udp/4500. If NAT is used then you need NAT-T.

@IWSup I note you've edited your post since my last response.

Ideally you should permit from the trusted source(s) IP address to the Gi8 IP address. If permit ESP any any is already in place that will work, but you are obviously allowing from all sources. If you only allow VPNs from a couple of networks you could restrict this to known/trusted IP addresses, more secure and less noise.

@Rob Ingram 

Appreciate the information. I am currently waiting to hear back from my external vendor on their Internal IP and if NAT will end up being needed, so I can get the ACLs properly setup. Planning to make the changes in the morning once I get the information.

If NAT is not used on either side, it's port 500 and ESP?

If NAT is needed by one side or the other, it's Port 4050 and ESP?

@IWSup almost correct....

If there is NAT in between you and the peer you will need udp/500 and udp/4500. ESP cannot be translated and is encapsulated inside udp/4500.

If there is NO NAT between you and the peer then you need udp/500 and ESP.

Here is an example to secure IPSec VPN, which maybe of help.

Quick update, I was able to get the tunnel applied without brining down the site with the above information. Really appreciate all the help. However, the tunnel is showing DOWN, and I was just informed I will need to implement a NAT on our side of the tunnel, so all traffic leaving the internal network will show as a single IP they just gave me.

Working on trying to sort out how to go about that currently. However, I do not think whether a NAT is properly setup or not will affect whether the tunnel is up or not, just for routing and connectivity purposes through the tunnel.

Hunting down some debug commands to see what information I can gleam from them.

IKEv2 Connection.png

Friend open udp 4500 not depend on if you use NAT in router in both sides, the udp 4500 is use if any router behind NAT device. 

We usually open above ports, you can tune acl for these ports by using host <ip of peer you use in crypto map> in acl.

MHM

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card