Views
Helpful
Replies

GLBP cisco 1841 2 interface on same router

Fotiosmark
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there!!! :)

Basically I am wondering if I can do GLBP with Track between 2 interfaces on the same Router. Both interfaces are L3 on same Subnet. 1.1 and 1.2

So Can I use GLBP between thoese two and create a Virtual IP which will be Load Balance between those 2 interface?

Each interface will be connected to 2 stacked switches for redundancy.

I would do Port Channels instead GLBP, but 1841 doesn't seem to support Port-Channels

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

If portchannel is not supported, use IRB instead. Here's a link that explain what it is.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/integrated-routing-bridging-irb/17054-741-10.html#irbconfig

/Mikael

View solution in original post

Hi

Yes you are correct that two interfaces connect to switch and the ip address on the interface irb will be used as gateway for clients.

But for the load balance, i think that spanning-tree will block one of the 2 interfaces, otherwise there will be a loop on the vlan. So no load balance, but you have redundance.

/Mikael

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

If portchannel is not supported, use IRB instead. Here's a link that explain what it is.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/integrated-routing-bridging-irb/17054-741-10.html#irbconfig

/Mikael

So, I assume, the one router that will be connected to 2 interfaces on stack switches, I can use IRB to bridge these 2 interfaces with 1 ip.
Does it load balance? :)

Hi

Yes you are correct that two interfaces connect to switch and the ip address on the interface irb will be used as gateway for clients.

But for the load balance, i think that spanning-tree will block one of the 2 interfaces, otherwise there will be a loop on the vlan. So no load balance, but you have redundance.

/Mikael

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card