cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPV6 Block : 2001:DB8::/32 | how many subnets , how many host per subnet ? if each customet require 254 real IPV6 address

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all

if you get the IPV6 Block : 2001:DB8::/32

how can i i subnet this IPV6 Block ? how many subnets , how many host per subnet ? if each customet require 254 real IPV6 address

thanks for answer and read in advance 

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It depends on how you physically subnet.

Often, many use a /64 for everything, including p2p.  With a parent /32, you would have up to 232 /64 subnets.

If you actually provided /120 subnets, you would have 288 /120 subnets.

thanks all

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

That's huge.  The bigger problem with ipv6 is how to intelligently use the address space.  256 address networks may not be suitable in the days of phones, cellphones, laptops, tablets, home monitoring, game consoles, IoAT.

Let's say you use allocated 2001:DB8::/64.  that still leaves 64 bits for clients and their networks.  Say you give them a 254 address space  (/120).  That would leave 48 bits for "separate customer networks".

2^^48 is huge.  Something on the order of 200,000,000,000,000 NETWORKS of size 256, assuming my logic and my little Casio didn't slip up.

Now there may be some restrictions in there - lost, mandatory, etc.; and I may have missed a factor somewhere; but you get the idea.

trfinkenstadt
Level 1
Level 1

Please be aware that you may have issues if you try to subnet below /64 for host systems.  Windows, Mac, Linux, etc may not like that subnet length.  Also, be aware that IPv6 routes are much larger than IPv4 routes.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card