cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limits on wireless extension cabling - Cisco 927

Stephen Carter
Level 1
Level 1

We have Cisco 927 routers, C927-4PLTEGB versions, and from time to time we have to install these in locations where the mobile signal strength isn't great - so we are looking at using extension cables. However the 'standard' one is only about 10m long and won't help in certain situations.

So the thought is to have a 'aerial' installed on a roof top or similar, and run a cable down to the ground floor where the router is located. Now we know that the presentation on the back of the router is CAT-4 (the small screwed thread) so here is the question - 

Are there any limitations to the length of the cable from the router to the aerial ?

The plan is to have a 3rd party install an aerial on the roof say, run the cable to the grd floor and leave the cable presented with a CAT-4 end.

Then when we want to use the mobile side of things it would be just a case of turning up and plugging the CAT-4 cable into the back of the 927 and away we go.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As with any RF cabling there will be signal loss. It really depends on the antenna gain, any active boosters the antenna has, and the RF loss of the cable.

I know I have seen this done, but wouldn’t go and run a cable from roof of skyscraper to the ground floor. I always had the telco engaged for it.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As with any RF cabling there will be signal loss. It really depends on the antenna gain, any active boosters the antenna has, and the RF loss of the cable.

I know I have seen this done, but wouldn’t go and run a cable from roof of skyscraper to the ground floor. I always had the telco engaged for it.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Andrew,
Thanks for the reply, yes, I'm getting a telco to do the work - it was one of our customers came to us urgently with a solution for a problem and needed confirmation.
I'm in the UK, so our customer doesn't have 'skyscrapper' type buildings just, at max, 4 or 5 floors, so I'll pass this information on to them and we can take it from there.
Many thanks for the prompt response.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card