Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor multicast over Tunnel

KGrev
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have a cellular router (IR809G) with a tunnel setup. I'm trying to view a multicast video over that tunnel. It does appear but the video quality is very poor. I'm in a great reception area and speed tests from the router into the network hover around ~50meg. The video file is 480p mp4. Other paths from the core router(rp) can view this feed fine but the path through the tunnel is the issue. Are there any requirements for a tunnel connection for multicast to flow properly? Ive attached some details from the spoke and core routers. I hope it is helpful.

Is it interesting that the tunnel does not show a DR for pim? My other pim interfaces on the router do show DR (they are removed from the text)

Thank you for any advice.

61 Replies 61

can I see the your config for MTU and MSS ?

Did you set it on the receiver or the sender?

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

@Torbjørn  I set it on the receiver.

Okay, just had to make sure. The issue is likely not related to latency then.

Does VLC give you any useful info in the media information(right click the viewer area > tools, media information)?

This is an interesting issue!

@Torbjørn  Here are some images after about a minute of playtime. a few minutes later "dropped" says 64. Not sure if thats important or not

20231114_121248_001.jpg20231114_121312.jpg

KGrev
Level 4
Level 4

@Joseph W. Doherty  @MHM Cisco World  @Torbjørn 

Sorry my post is so long there are responses to different responses happening so im replying to all of you here.

@Joseph W. Doherty  I've just sent an email to our At&t contact to ask about our Service agreement on these sims. Hopefully that is informative.

@MHM Cisco World  I've attached pictures of the tunnel configs and "show ip traffic" if that helps. Green is internal, black is the cellular router.

20231114_093301.jpg20231114_091539_001.jpg20231114_091132.jpg20231114_091117.jpg

The traffic encapsulate and encapsulate and go on 

Here traffic firsr encapsulate is tunnel which you correct mtu 1280 and mss 1200

Then cellular which need mtu more than tunnel at least 40.

Note:- no need mss in cellular or make it same as tunnel value.

@MHM Cisco World  Cell 0 is currently at 1360 mtu

Why we make it long 

Use extended icmp

Extended ping have option to increase data size by specific value make it 50 and start make it 1000

And see at which size the packet start to drop 

Note:- df bit must set in this icmp test 

@MHM Cisco World  Please refer to reply #5 on page 2 from this thread. I did numerous tests on that one.

"Note:- no need mss in cellular or make it same as tunnel value."

The reason/logic behind that recommendation?

"Here traffic firsr encapsulate is tunnel which you correct mtu 1280 and mss 1200"

Why a delta of 80?

KGrev
Level 4
Level 4

@Joseph W. Doherty  Our At&t contact got back with us and he claims our sim cards arent treated any differently than a standard user. No special provisioning.

Ok, what's the expectations for a standard user?

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Joseph W. Doherty, @MHM Cisco World: Adjusting the TCP MSS won't affect this traffic as this is a multicast UDP stream.

@KGrev, That does indicate that there is some loss between the sender and the receiver which would affect quality. How does those numbers compare to sites where this is working as intended? Could you set up a IP SLA UDP jitter operation with "verify-data" enabled?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card