cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy Over VSAT Link

inhamit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have a WAN and VSAT connection to one of the site. WAN is primary and VSAT is secondary link.

We have dedicated router for WAN and VSAT. VSAT link is connected to one of the LAN access switch.

Could you please help me, what kind of configuration I should apply to achieve the redundancy, via having gateway same at all the time?

inhamit_0-1713245875089.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Friend dont waste your time

The endpoint must have one GW and you need hsrp or vrrp (i prefer hsrp)

This direct traffic to core or to vsat

Then if traffic reach core you can use also hsrp (that why I mention it tree) to forward traffic to one of edge routers

MHM

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I suggest that you need to tweak the setup - Either you need have connection to VSAT router to core switch, 

Then on core switch you can use EEM and IPSLA to track the all the WAN1 and 2, if both Fail then change the route to VSAT Router. (this high level you can do)

other side, untl we see high level config of all device its hard to say how that logic going work ?

how are you doing WAN Link failover now (since you have already 2 WAN Routers?) 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This setup is not running as of now and in design phase. 

I agree with your setup for connection to core switch from VSAT router.

Can we have direct connection VSAT router to WAN router to make this work as all routing is taking place in WAN router only? What kind of config I should do in this case? 

I dont know but maybe you can use tree of hsrp

Firsr hsrp between VSAT and Core 

Second hsrp is betwwen edge router connect to Core

This way the enpoint connect to Access SW will forward traffic toward VIP of HSRP and Core will forward traffic to HSRP VIP of edge routers

MHM

Need some clarification 

1. do you have 2 WAN links connected to 2 WAN Router.

2. For each administration and isolation, i would suggested personally connect VSAT router directly to CORE Switch.

3. Do you have any NAT running WAN router ?

4. what kind of security you have between these site to HQ ? run any IPSEC ?

BB

1) Yes, 2 dedicated WAN link for 2 routers. primary and secondary.

2) I agree to connect the VSAT router directly to core switch. In this case, What kind of configuration, I should apply on network equipment's?

3) Since WAN connection is directly from the HQ, I think we dont need NAT at this site, shall be considered as remote site.

4)  Shall be IPSEC.

what is exiting arrangement of the config ? can you provide the sample configuraiton ?

Do you have IPSEC on the exiting WAN Routers ?

are you looking WAN1 Fail and WAN2 fail then VSAT link to be active path right ?

1) Yes, 2 dedicated WAN link for 2 routers. primary and secondary.

You mentioned there are already primary seconday means some logic already in place ? how is that configuraiton looks like ?

BB

Hi, 

are you looking WAN1 Fail and WAN2 fail then VSAT link to be active path right ?

yes, WAN 1 Primary, WAN 2 Secondary and VSAT link in 3rd priority. 

For all other questions, this solution is in design phase so we dont have the sample config to share. I am looking to have the best options, what shall be configured? Sorry for the inconvenience here

If this still in design stage then choosing the right hardware is the key role to make the solution work.

if you are not sure, then i suggest to engage cisco partner or consultant design and deploy for you , choosing the right BOM

Look some example lab config posted on the blog :

https://www.balajibandi.com/?p=1643 

https://www.balajibandi.com/?p=1982

BB

Friend dont waste your time

The endpoint must have one GW and you need hsrp or vrrp (i prefer hsrp)

This direct traffic to core or to vsat

Then if traffic reach core you can use also hsrp (that why I mention it tree) to forward traffic to one of edge routers

MHM

Hello 
Can you elaborate on your current network topology.

• What routing do you have running on the wan/vsat rtrs and between the core switches?
  • What resiliency do you have at present?
  • Can you post the CFG of the wan/vat rtrs and core switch?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

This design is under the documentation phase. Before I document this solution, I wanted to be sure what is feasible and what best can work here so no config or setup is available as of now. Could you please let me know what is the best way to work the solution with 2 WAN router and 1 VSAT connection?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card