cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing DC power supply to AC power supply to Cisco 2610xm-DC router

Angelrosa
Level 1
Level 1

I recently started studying for my CCNA and bought two routers and two switches off of eBay to start a lab. The guy I bought the routers from forgot to mention that the routers run a DC psu that I don’t know how to use. I wanted to just swap a AC psu in but have reserves on damaging the device. So my question is can I switch out the power supply’s with no issues or do I just have to buy two new routers? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unless I can find something that explicitly states that is can be done I usually won't say anything. That being said, all the checking I did I think it can be changed to an AC. The PS appear to be modular and I'd assume have the same clip to the connect to the router. I can't see Cisco making unique main boards for AC vs DC power supplies. At the end of the day, most AC supplies convert the power to DC anyway. You should be able to compare the connector of the AC supply to that of the DC before you purchase one too. 

I also did find an old link where someone asked the same question and the response was yes.

So, I don't know if this helps, but just take it for what it's worth.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unless I can find something that explicitly states that is can be done I usually won't say anything. That being said, all the checking I did I think it can be changed to an AC. The PS appear to be modular and I'd assume have the same clip to the connect to the router. I can't see Cisco making unique main boards for AC vs DC power supplies. At the end of the day, most AC supplies convert the power to DC anyway. You should be able to compare the connector of the AC supply to that of the DC before you purchase one too. 

I also did find an old link where someone asked the same question and the response was yes.

So, I don't know if this helps, but just take it for what it's worth.

Regards

Angelrosa
Level 1
Level 1

I actually opened up the device and took out the psu and honestly I think you’re right. It’s a 6 pin connector and considering the voltage of the device, I need an AC psu that has around 60v, here’s a pic of the connector. 

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds good. The AC power supply Cisco part number is PWR-2600-AC. Looks like there are plenty of places to get a refurbished one at a reasonable price.

Regards

Thank you sir!!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card