fcoe-npv vs. fcoe

robad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are running:

Nexus9000 C93360YC-FX2

NXOS: version 10.3(2)

We've installed the feature-set "fcoe", and now I see on the official guides that I need to install "fcoe-npv"

But, it gives me this error :

n9k-b(config)# no install feature-set fcoe
feature-set can not be uninstalled because its enabled on one or more VDCs(0x40aa001c)

1. Do I really need the "fcoe-npv" instead of just "fcoe" ? 

2. If so, How can I achieve it now ?....

** update -

What I need is just to be able to connect FC storage (Like HPE Nimble) to this N9K, and also, our FI will be connected to it, with FCoE Uplinks 

Thanks in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @robad,

The "fcoe" feature set is typically used for traditional FCoE scenarios where the Nexus switch itself acts as an FCoE forwarder.

On the other hand, the feature "fcoe-npv" is used when the Nexus switch needs to operate in NPV (N-Port Virtualization) mode, often in scenarios where you want the Nexus switch to act as an FCoE transit switch in front of a core FC switch (like a Cisco MDS) without doing full FC routing.

To sum up: if it's acting as a transit switch between FCoE and FC, you might need "fcoe-npv." If you're connecting FC storage directly to the Nexus switch, you may not need "fcoe-npv."

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @robad,

The "fcoe" feature set is typically used for traditional FCoE scenarios where the Nexus switch itself acts as an FCoE forwarder.

On the other hand, the feature "fcoe-npv" is used when the Nexus switch needs to operate in NPV (N-Port Virtualization) mode, often in scenarios where you want the Nexus switch to act as an FCoE transit switch in front of a core FC switch (like a Cisco MDS) without doing full FC routing.

To sum up: if it's acting as a transit switch between FCoE and FC, you might need "fcoe-npv." If you're connecting FC storage directly to the Nexus switch, you may not need "fcoe-npv."

Best regards

robad
Level 1
Level 1

thanks both of you guys !!

so, we are not using MDS

We just want to be able that the VMs from hosted on our UCS (FI) , that is connceted to this N9K, will be able to access to HPE storage, that is also connected to the same N9K.

So I understanf I can keep FCoE if it's the state - right ?

@robad 

Right!

Best regards

robad
Level 1
Level 1

thanks all of you guys !