Views
Helpful
Replies

C9200 boot unspecified

Antoine Chemin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

On the Catalyst 9200 series, particularly the 9200CX and 9200L models, when the boot value is not defined, the equipment starts in Rommon mode.

When the boot value is defined with a specified *.bin file, it starts correctly with the defined *.bin IOS file.

Is it possible, as on previous series, to be in a mode where the boot value is not defined and the equipment automatically selects a valid *.bin file available in the flash?

This would eliminate the need to worry about the boot value.

Thank you

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I got one better:  Install Mode. 

In Install Mode, the boot variable points to the "packages.conf" file.  Every time the Install Mode command gets invoke, the contents of the packages.conf file gets updated, however, the packages.conf file remains the same.  

Yes, it is indeed an alternative technique. I am rather seeking an "autoselection" mode of the IOS present in the flash, without defining any parameters of the boot mode or the installation mode.

Hello Antoine,

The C9200 come preinstalled with install mode on them, so they will always boot to the predefined image in the packages.conf. As far as I have experienced in the past with other equipment network devices will boot to an image even if you don't have a boot command defined, they will just select the first available image and boot (tested on the C2960, 1920 and 1820). But on the C9200 I cannot say for certain so i would recommend you to test it.

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

Certainly, on previous models, the equipment would select the first valid IOS when nothing was defined.

However, during our tests, we observed that this behavior is no longer identical on the C9200.

That's why I'm trying to find out if there is a specific configuration to reproduce this. In case the boot variable is not defined, the equipment selects the first valid IOS and boots from it rather than booting into Rommon mode.

@Antoine Chemin wrote:
However, during our tests, we observed that this behavior is no longer identical on the C9200.

What firmware was the switch on during the tests?

17.9.4a

Hi Leo,

Do you have any idea about this specific operation?

Best regards

That will depend on the switch's micro-code version, which is dictated by the firmware version. 

I have seen some 9300 where the switch "fail over" and searches for the correct/compatible package files (PKG) even if the packages.conf is pointing to an incompatible version (aka "lite").

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card