cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking

jonk34567
Level 4
Level 4

i have a trunk line between 2 switches.on one side of the switch i do the below configuration 

( switch-1)

# int fa 0/0  

#switchport trunk encap dot1q

#switchport mode dynamic desirable 

#end

on the other end ( switch-2) 

# int fa 0/0

#switchport mode dynamic auto 

# end

will the trunk line work even if i do not configure the encapsulation on the 2nd switch 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

It will enable a trunk. There are switches with implicit dot1q , now you can check the port status and Operational Trunking Encapsulation through: show interface fa0/0 switchport.

If it is configured as dot1q it will create a trunk. Now a best practice is configure both ends with the same config. 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

Hello

Just like to add to julio comments -

In the interface configuration the switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q will take precedence of the dynamic command, but the trunk will come up as negotiated trunk ( DTP)

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rick1776
Level 5
Level 5
It should because it’s on auto mode make sure you bring up the auto switch second

Hi

It will enable a trunk. There are switches with implicit dot1q , now you can check the port status and Operational Trunking Encapsulation through: show interface fa0/0 switchport.

If it is configured as dot1q it will create a trunk. Now a best practice is configure both ends with the same config. 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

I agree.

Hello

Just like to add to julio comments -

In the interface configuration the switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q will take precedence of the dynamic command, but the trunk will come up as negotiated trunk ( DTP)

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card