Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade ios to Router 7206 VXR

jorgeacat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I will upgrade ios image to router 7206vxr, only have doubts, is necesary upgrade

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Jorge,

Boot helper is a small image with few functions used to find and load the main fully functional IOS image. It is stored in internal flash memory (the boot helper image comes installed on the NPE-G2).

It is usually recommended to have matching versions of the boot helper image and IOS image, so I suggest to upgrade both.

Note that NPE-G2 images start with the prefix "c7200p-" in the software images filenames, including the boot image.

The NPE-G2 does not boot up with a software image with the prefix "c7200-". Previous network processing engines, or the network services engine, do not boot up with the "c7200p-" boot image. They use the prefix "c7200-".

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jorgeacat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone

I will ugrade cisco ios to Router 7206VXR with NPE-G2 ,  only that I have a doubt. Someone knows If is necessary upgrade both  images  boot helper (boot loader)  and Cisco IOS image.

I considered only IOS image.

Thanks very much for your help

Regarsd

Hello Jorge,

Boot helper is a small image with few functions used to find and load the main fully functional IOS image. It is stored in internal flash memory (the boot helper image comes installed on the NPE-G2).

It is usually recommended to have matching versions of the boot helper image and IOS image, so I suggest to upgrade both.

Note that NPE-G2 images start with the prefix "c7200p-" in the software images filenames, including the boot image.

The NPE-G2 does not boot up with a software image with the prefix "c7200-". Previous network processing engines, or the network services engine, do not boot up with the "c7200p-" boot image. They use the prefix "c7200-".

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card