cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Core Switch cat4500e-IPBASE-M as NTP server.

oosama123
Level 1
Level 1

hi everyone ;

am trying to create a NTP server in our network for non-MS devices , since we are using AD as NTP server for Client and servers.

i heard that you can configure my cat4500e-IPBASE-M to act like NTP server.

unfortunately, i dint work  !! i tried to follow the steps in the Cisco Linke :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12-2/31sga/configuration/guide/config/swadmin.html#wp1245641

but when i reach the command :

Switch(config-if)# ntp broadcast version 2

i received the below error :

Cisco Ticket.png

my IOS is : 12.2(53)SG4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

is there a better way to do it ? best practice ? since i need also add Firewall and F5 to the get time from NTP server.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok cool so you have the main switch pointing to outside server and its its getting it time and stratum is ok , when using outside server good practice to have 3 and set one as ntp server x.x.x.x prefer

next step is just to point those switches to an IP on the main switch that already has its time and it will pick it up , check again the ntp associations

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi its done in global syntax not interface mode

Try (config)ntp server x.x.x.x

use commands show ntp status and show ntp asso  to confirm it

thank you for your reply , Ive already finished that step to make the switch receives time from outside NTP server.

now i want the switch to " give" other switchs time, hope its clear now.

what i did :

ntp logging
ntp clock-period 17180513
ntp server 211.233.84.186
ntp server 119.28.206.193
ntp server 129.250.35.251
ntp server 129.250.35.250
ntp server 192.168.46.245

Ok cool so you have the main switch pointing to outside server and its its getting it time and stratum is ok , when using outside server good practice to have 3 and set one as ntp server x.x.x.x prefer

next step is just to point those switches to an IP on the main switch that already has its time and it will pick it up , check again the ntp associations

strange thing is , i made switch point direct to the DC server and its works !!!!!!! not its in sync when i do NTP Status !!

can force sysnce time ? or i need to change time Zone manually for all ?

so sync can take time , a reboot usually fix it straight away or else make sure to set manually current clock time too that can speed up the sync , also load of pings from that switch the ip your peering too can speed sync time from when i set them before , it can vary from software to platform and the network in how quick it can sync

thnak you for your help , just allow me to ask one more question : it's normal that the cisco devices can get tine from server r2 2012 ?!

it's normal that the cisco devices can get tine from server r2 2012 ?!

server r2 2012 is pretty old but sure, they can get time from almost any server.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card