Views
Helpful
Replies

Write Memory Command with no changes in active configuration

victguti
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to know if running the command "write memory" on an IOS device, write the active configuration to the flash even if no change has been done in the configuration. In other words, if every time one runs "write memory" there is a writing cycle on the flash memory.

Thanks and regards,

Víctor.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Victor

Yes the behavior is the same. Each time you execute either of those commands there is a write to flash. The difference in output reflects the differences in the command used. The copy command has optional parameters so that you can specify sources, destinations, and protocol to use. So when you execute copy running-config startup-config the output reflects the choice of destination and then it executes the copy while write memory does not need to identify any optional parameters and just executes the copy.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Victor

Yes every time you issue the write memory command there is a write to flash.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Richard,

if instead of running "write memory" I use "copy running-config startup-config". Is the behaviour the same?

I have just realize that the command outputs are different:

SWLAB#copy running-config startup-config
Destination filename [startup-config]?
Building configuration...
[OK]
0 bytes copied in 1.887 secs (0 bytes/sec)
SWLAB#write memory
Building configuration...
[OK]

Thanks,

Víctor.

Victor

Yes the behavior is the same. Each time you execute either of those commands there is a write to flash. The difference in output reflects the differences in the command used. The copy command has optional parameters so that you can specify sources, destinations, and protocol to use. So when you execute copy running-config startup-config the output reflects the choice of destination and then it executes the copy while write memory does not need to identify any optional parameters and just executes the copy.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Many thanks!

Victor

You are welcome. I am glad that my explanations were helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes it is. that is normal process.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card