cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft, cornering the market through Xbox

davethehedgehog
Level 5
Level 5

Hey Cisco, this is an open letter to you.

With today's announcment that with the release of the new Xbox tens of millions of home users are about to get what is effectively a Lync client in their living rooms, I wondered what your opinions and strategies around that are.

We see, time and time again, users taking what they use in the home and forcing it in the workplace. We've seen it with tablets, we've seen it with Windows, we've seen it with mobiles. We see it all the damn time. Hell, there's a whole new market of BYOD for just that task now.

I see Microsoft, day in, day out, getting the jump on their competitors and squeezing their way in through the consumer market, not because they have a great product, but because their strategy is so much more aggressive and smart than everyone elses. I strongly believe that Jabber IS the better product, BUT Linux is better than windows, Betamax was better than VHS, Novell was better than AD. And yet the market lies down and dooms users to a mediochre experience every time by allowing Microsoft to push their products into the workplace via the living room with no competition.

So how about it. Are you going to legally challenge this 'walled-garden' Microsoft are creating with Skype before it becomes an unwinable situation? How about some kind of partnership with Samsung et. al for Jabber in the living room? Because I'm here to tell you, once service and retail companies wake up and start dealing with their customers through Skype (and the will do once it becomes easy enough, the Xbox makes it that way), no-one's going to give a damn how good Jabber is. You can take the high-road of standards and better quality and blah blah blah, but businesses will go the easiest, least risky route, which is Microsoft. Yeah you might eventually get some kind of half-hearted poorly considered opening of the Skype environment, but by then it will be too late and they'll already have the death grip, much like in the OS market.

I really want to see Jabber become a defacto standard. UCM is definitely the best platform out there right now, and I really want to see the better product in my opinion win this time! You've gotta offer more. like Whatsapp to SMS, like Kinect to Move, like Netflix to Blockbuster. This can be won, but you're going to have to fight for it Mr Chambers!

signed

a concerned Cisco enthusiast.

p.s. I don't actually expect a reply, and not only because no-one actually uses communities, let's face it.

6 Replies 6

r.pennington
Level 5
Level 5

Interesting post, definitely think the MS sprawl of Lync is something for something to really work against and prioritize the Jabber usability features.

The Business to Consumer market is going to be one of the real points of interest to businesses and the Lync/Skype integration on the horizon will add fuel to that fire. But web RTC could actually a better easier way to archive this so could play back to wards Cisco with people being able to trigger up calls directly from web pages.

Lets see how it plays out

Richard

Cisco is using Jabber-C for this purpose using web RTC

Just a sneak preview of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhNKS6pmaWc

Srini

Just to add color to my post, I do agree that Skype(considering the amount of money they spent) is a formidable force to be dealt with since it is embedded inside not just XBOX but also TV apps, mobile devices etc. However considering the weight being put behind by Google in web RTC and the fact that Firefox is working with them too, clientless plug-in running inside a browser is much more slick solution. I will take browser based access any day to thick clients.

Also we have to think about use cases and not just point product features. Cisco is not in the business of C2C communication where XBOX to XBOX through Skype may add value,  they are however in the business of B2B and more importantly B2C communication. If the future is browser access in all "smart devices" then the entire end to end solution does have a play for Jabber-C and tying that into a compelling vision of back office tying into UCCX/UCCE. MSFT doesn't have that end to end story. If Cisco executes well on that vision they have a better play.

Srini

Srini, we can always rely on you to make informed, sensible comment

I agree, they do have a better play, but do they have a winning play? Once you've got those millions of people embedded into a Skype world you're going to have a really hard time pulling them out of it. I guess we'll see though. Perhaps with the might of Google behind it, especially with Android, things might turn around.

Regardless I think this walled garden needs to have them walls torn down, and soon, before we're all locked into them. Soon we won't be federating, we'll be integrating. Which is a very different place to be in

Dave, seriously disagree with you. Everyone is trending to ecosystems and proprietary technologies for those ecosystems. If everyone else has a walled in garden, it itself, forces cisco to be a walled in garden, even if its technologies are open source, which nobody with eventually use.

I fail to see how companies employing proprietary, incompatible technologies can be anything but fatal for unified communications. The dropping of XMPP support, without a viable replacement, and open federation can be nothing but a bad thing.

Meanwhile Microsoft have a massive presence in the consumer market through Skype, and they do offer federation to that with their corporate platform. If I were a customer I would go Lync just in case I needed to do that, especially if everyone else is going closed system. With Lync at least I can federate with something.