Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating phones to new cluster

Siva chinap
Level 5
Level 5

Dear All,

We are in the process of migrating IPhone to a new cluster and changing the domain to UC applications. My plan is to create a new cluster with a different IP address and partially relocate the phones. The current cluster is in mixed mode, and IP phones contain CTL/ITL files. Please provide any recommendations so that I can move the phones to the new cluster with minimal downtime.

5 Replies 5

There are quite a few things involved in switching clusters. My first question would be if you have both the new and old clusters on line and available to your voice network? I am going to assume so. I am also going to assume you have all the configuration data loaded in the new cluster. With that in mind, you need to have the commands queued up to point your inbound gateway/CUBE devices from the old cluster to the new cluster. Then you will have to change the enterprise parameter "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre 8.0" to true and reset all phones. Watch RTMT prior to doing this to see how many phones should register. Once all the phones have re-registered with the old cluster, change the option 150 settings in DHCP to point to the new cluster. Then reset all the phones again in the old cluster. Then they should start popping up in the new cluster. You will also have to manually change any SCCP or MGCP gateways to point to the new cluster. You can hard code the TFTP servers on a few select phones prior to changing the inbound gateways to you have a few phones ready to receive calls when you switch the inbound gateways. DON"T FORGET to clear that once the cutover if done. Otherwise that will likely cause you problems down the road. There will be a few phones that don't cooperate for whatever reason. You will need to be prepared to physically touch those phones which will likely require a factory reset.

@Elliot DierksenThank you for your prompt response. The plan is to run both clusters concurrently, with only a few phones migrated to the new cluster. When I set the enterprise parameter "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to Pre-8.0" to true, the CTL files are not flushed and remain on the phone. The new cluster is non-secure cluster mode. Do I need to successfully upload the trust certificates in order to register Partially move phones?

Any 3rd Party software needs to purchase for bulk deletion?

Bulk Certificate management option would be the best option.

If you have phones less than 500 you can use UnifedFX Demo tool to remove the ITL/CTl  from the phones.

Response Signature

Apart from the excellent advice given by @Elliot Dierksen this should be what you need to think about as your source cluster is in mixed mode for moving your phones. This document should outline what you need to do for this.

Migrate Phones Between Secure Clusters 

Response Signature

@Roger KallbergMany Thanks for sharing the doc and your inputs.