cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Boot from SAN

k.aumell
Level 1
Level 1

Sooooooo, I believe I am at least part-way to having this configured properly. I've zoned, assigned storage, configured boot from san on the UCS.

I installed vmware by mounting the CD image, booting from that, installing from my SAN LUN. Did a touchdown dance. 

Rebooted........annnndddd....

Interestingly when I look at the blade in UCS Manager I see this in configured boot order:

but the "actual boot order" shows this:

When I enter BIOS through KVM, and navigate to boot options, all I have is this:

I've definitely missed, or screwed up something. It's obviously zoned correctly, as the VMWare installer loaded drivers for the vHBAs and saw the LUN.

Any help is much obliged. I understand I probably haven't provided enough info, so please ask for whatever can help!

Thanks

Kyle

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Kyle

You are correct; if you see the boot lun, and can install the os, the zoning is correct. If boot fails, something must be wrong in the boot policy. Configured and actual boot order must match.

q.

- is the boot lun nr 0 ?

- is the target pwwn of the storage controller correct ?

- is the name of vhBA1 resp. vhBA2 exactly the same as it is in the service profile ?

Walter.

Qiese Dides
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kyle,

I would check everything walter listed below. Can you also restart the server than go to the boot menu. Once it is in the boot menu get an SSH session into the Fabric Interconnect and run the following commands.

connect adapter 1/1/1 (This means Chassis 1 , Blade 1, Adapter 1, this will vary based on the slot of your blade)

connect

attach-fls

lunlust

lunmap

If you could give that output I would appreciate it. Also please double check your zoning is correct and as Walter stated that the VHBA name (vHBA1 & vHBA2) is the exact same as the VHBA in the service profile.

Regards,

Qiese Dides

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card