Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple WiSM2's and Office Extend

tajennings
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We recently recieved several WiSM2's and at this moment configuring the controllers for the AP602 office extend as well as the regular internal WLAN's.

Because we use internal IP's for the management interface, we have to use an external IP on the NAT config on the management interfaces. Question is, because we have 2 WiSM's for redundancy purposes, this means having 2 seperate external IP's for the NAT config? Does this mean that we would need to configure HSRP on the 6500's to use for the AP602 for redundancy?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Office extends is typically configured on the WLC in the DMZ. Think of reverse guest access anchoring. Is your WiSM2 in the DMZ, Im just curious.

To your question.

You prime an office extends AP and add the WLC ip address (outside) to the AP600. The AP600 will join that WLC. All traffic for that AP will drop off in your VLAN (office extends). You will want to make sure you have HSRP here betwen your VLANs if you have that vlan between 2 controllers.

As for the controllers. i dont think there is a need to do HSRP for the outside ips. The AP will either join controller 1 or controller 2. Then the traffic will dump on the 1 vlan or if you have 2 vlans (one behind each WLC).

Maybe one of the cisco guys can chime in. Becuase I dont know if the OE downloads a moblity group to even know about a second controller.

Question:

So what happen if you prime a AP600, point it to controller 1.2.3.4 and that controller dies.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

That is what I was wondering too, what happens if the first controller dies and the OE AP has the first controller IP. Hence whether to create a HSRP for the external IP's and point the AP to that IP instead of one of the controller's NAT IP.

Thats a great question and never heard that one asked and dont recall reading about a solution either. If i could rate your question with 5 stars I would!

When I get home Ill see what I can sniff out but lets see what ideas anyone else has.

Have you opened a TAC case about this?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

A Cisco engineer told me there is no reason for HSRP because when the OE is joined to the controller, you can set the primary and secondary controller IP's.

I just logged into my controller. If you click on the OE ap you have the high availability tab (like a standard ap), so sounds right ..