Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade CUCM 8.5 to 10.5 using PCD simple migration

panjwani80
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I have a small customer with CUCM 8.5 Pub and Sub. Pub is located in the DC and all the phones/gateways are registered with Sub at the office. I am using PCD simple migration process so no IP address change.

PCD simple migration is a three step process:

1) Export the data from Pub and Sub

2) Shutdown the production Pub and install/import configuration into new Pub 10.5.

3) Shutdown the production Sub and install/import configuration into new Sub 10.5.

My question is if I put a "pause" after step 2 it should not caused any outage up until that point right because all phones and gateways are registered with Sub onsite?

Thanks

Aamir

2 Replies 2

keglass
Level 7
Level 7

Aamir,

I recommend you also post this to the Migration Resources space in the Cisco Partner Community for more appropriate feedback and information.

Migration Resources

Kelli Glass

Moderator for Cisco Customer Communities

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Aamir,

Depending on where the 'Forced Pause' is specified in the PCD flow, will determine the behavior of the upgrade.   So if you back up pub/sub, shut down the pub, install the pub, then force a pause after the install, you should have a situation where your phones are still registered to the subscriber and the publisher is on the upgraded version.

I would recommend that the pause between pub install and continuing on to the sub install be as short as possible.  Once you continue on and shut down the subscriber, all phones/GW should change over to the publisher and be on line.  One word of caution for you....before upgrading, I would recommend putting the 10.5 phone firmware version on the phones.  This pre-upgrade step will allow phones to fail-over directly to their backup (pub) and not require a firmware download. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer