cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 Switch Stack

troseberry
Level 1
Level 1

I have a switch stack of 3 Catalyst 3850's (WS-C3850-48P) running software version 03.06.00E code.  Can a WS-C3850-48U-L switch be added to this stack and what changes must occur?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hild
Level 11
Level 11

Tim,

All 3850 switches are capable of stacking to each other except for the WS-C3850-48X-S, only because this switch doesn't have physical stack ports. The switch you mentioned is capable of running the IoS version mentioned but FYI  is approaching EoS. The only gotcha may be the licenses. WS-C3850-48U-L is obviously LAN Base but you didn't mention the stack license. If the stack license level is something higher, then the WS-C3850-48U-L will need to be upgraded to the same license level as the stack.

I hope this is helpful.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

David Hild
Level 11
Level 11

Tim,

All 3850 switches are capable of stacking to each other except for the WS-C3850-48X-S, only because this switch doesn't have physical stack ports. The switch you mentioned is capable of running the IoS version mentioned but FYI  is approaching EoS. The only gotcha may be the licenses. WS-C3850-48U-L is obviously LAN Base but you didn't mention the stack license. If the stack license level is something higher, then the WS-C3850-48U-L will need to be upgraded to the same license level as the stack.

I hope this is helpful.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card