Views
Helpful
Replies

Legacy TAPI app alongside Finesse

tleask
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi All,

I have a legacy TAPI app (JTAPI) that performs call control and works very well and offers all CTI functionality that I need, and this happens to work well on UCCX thanks to the CUCM and its CTI Manager with JTAPI, however I now want to expand that functionality without having to rewrite the whole application to include the ability to control the agent availability.

I have looked at the APIs that are provided with UCCX, and to me it looks like finesse is the way to go as this is supported across UCCX and UCCE.

Would there be any issue with still controlling a phone through JTAPI direct with the CUCM, whilst at the same time using the finesse API to log a UCCX agent in against that phone, and then managing that agents state from our application/server using the API?  Am I miss understanding what you can or can't do with the Finesse APIs?

How long have the finesse APIs been a part of UCCX and UCCE?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

dekwan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tristan,

Yes, you can use the Finesse APIs alongside with JTAPI. Finesse will get updated on the changes you make via JTAPI if it is applicable.

FInesse has been available for quite some time for UCCE, since 8.5. For UCCX, if my memory serves me right, it was since 10.0. On UCCE, Finesse is a standalone install while it is co-res with UCCX.

Thanx,

Denise

tleask
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Great, thanks for this Denise.

From what I understand of the Finesse API, basically for controlling the agent state, I would need to pass that agents credentials along in the authentication header of the API request?

This all seems too simple!!!

dekwan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tristan,

Finesse also has REST APIs to do call operations too. You can see the list of REST APIs in the developer guide: https://developer.cisco.com/site/finesse/docs/#rest-api-dev-guide

Yes, you would need to pass the agent's credentials in the auth header.

Finesse's whole motto is to be developer friendly. The REST APIs are meant to be easy!

tleask
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks again.

I managed to follow the API doc and use postman and pidgin to run some tests.  Do exactly what we need it to do.

With regards to the standalone installation for UCCE, is this an additional cost to the customer to install, or is it an optional component?  From reading posts on here, it seems as though Cisco are pushing the Finesse API over the older CTI Protocol.  Is it correct understanding that CTIP is no longer being actively developed and that any new development against the UCC platforms should be done using the Finesse API?

dekwan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tristan,

I am not on the sales/marketing/product owner side of things so I do not know if it is an additional cost for UCCE.

As far as CTI Protocol, CTI protocol is still being developed. It is CTIOS that is end of life and no longer being developed.

Thanx,

Denise

tleask
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ok, so there is a chance that a site might not have the finesse APIs available if they are running UCCE?

In order to control an ACD Agent across both UCCX and UCCE, which API would Cisco recommend to use?

dekwan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ok, so there is a chance that a site might not have the finesse APIs available if they are running UCCE?

Most likely. Like I said earlier, I do not come from the sales side so I don't know if UCCE comes with Finesse. For UCCX, I believe you need to have a premium or enhanced license to use the APIs.

In order to control an ACD Agent across both UCCX and UCCE, which API would Cisco recommend to use?

Finesse, because Finesse was built to normalize as many differences between UCCX and UCCE as possible. So, a lot of Finesse APIs work exactly the same for both deployments.

Thanx,

Denise