cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Media Converter suddenly stopped working

agutierrez44
Level 1
Level 1

I have a TRIPP-LITE media converter Model: N785-H01-SFP that suddenly stopped working on my C9300-24S after I have updated from 17.6.5 to 17.9.4a. The steps I have taken to trouble shoot are as follow:

- swapped the sfp on the switch and media converter

- replaced the fiber cable 

- reloaded the switch.

- replaced the media converter with a new one

- shut and no shut the port

- made sure the switch is seeing the sfp running "show inventory" and confirmed it is there

I use 1gb multimode sfps on both ends of the MC and something I have tried was connecting the MC on other switches ie 9400, 9600, 9300-48S, and non SFP switches and the media converter does function on these other devices we have and are running different images ranging from 17.6.5, 17.9.4a, and 17.9.5. I have also tried the same MC on a different C9300-24S switch and the MC is not functioning on a different C9300-24S

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Loop the optics (media-converter end and switch end) and see if the link light comes up or not.

I have tried this and no joy

@agutierrez44 wrote:

I have tried this and no joy

The media-converter side was looped and the link lights do not come up and the switch side was also looped and the link light did not come up. 

Is this correct?

Hello,

also, does 'debug interface' show anything ?

EDIT: since apparently the media converter works with other 17.9.4a installed switches, you might want to run the 'install remove inactive' command, in order to clean up the flash.

Haven't debugged the port yet but that is something I will try today and will update what I see

EDIT: So I updated a test 24 port SFP switch to 17.9.5 and ran the debug interface command and the regular ports 1-24 only read the SFP coming in and for some reason the 10GB ports are reading the SFP and establish a link then I took it to a 24 port SFP switch that is running 17.9.4a and its only reading the sfp on both 1Gb and 10Gb ports but link is established