cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 4507R ARP Issues

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

The VLANIF of the core switch acts as the gateway for client. The Client is unable to obtain the gateway IP, but by manually adding ARP, it can communicate with the gateway. The core switch has the correct MAC and ARP information for the client, as well as the correct interface information. When I clear the ARP information on the core switch, the client is able to automatically acquire the ARP of the gateway. I don't understand why this is happening, please help me analyze this issue.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What firmware is the switch on and what is the uptime of the 4500?

hello

yangpiguan_0-1713434478221.png

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't really understand the owner's description,
1. Unable to Get Gateway IP by Client Is it meant to indicate that it cannot be obtained automatically through DHCP? Manual configuration does not have concepts that are not available;
2. Manually adding arp can communicate with the gateway, which means that the client side manually binds the gateway IP+ gateway MAC through the command line? Or is it manual configuration on the core switch?

Hello. Thank you for your answer. I didn't make it clear. I'll tell you again

1. The client is a virtual machine under the vsphere, all manually assigned IP, no DHCP, client issues excluded, windows\linux is the same

The phenomenon is that the client can not obtain the core arp, so it can not communicate with the core and other network segments, but it can communicate with the client in the same network segment as the physical switch. When can not obtain the arp, the core switch has the arp and mac of the client, as long as clearing the client arp in the core, you can learn. Or client local connection disabled enabled can be obtained, but this method will still be disconnected after a few hours. Test whether to break before adding arp manually at the client.

Network Conditions: cisco 4507-Layer 2 Switch-vsphere Platform

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is the moderator here? Look at this

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card