Views
Helpful
Replies

IPFM Requirement

rocky2024
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am getting IPFM requirement, but I am searching for document to learn why we need IPFM in the first place? 

Why IPFM? Why not Cisco ACI? Why not our legacy switches platforms like 2960, 3560 etc.? I mean, why IPFM invented as we already have Cisco ACI solution?

I am going through below link but it's all about marketing briefing about IPFM solution.

Cisco IP Fabric for Media At-a-Glance - Cisco

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dawei
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The two most important features in IPFM solution are: PTP and NBM
PTP is used to synchronize the time of the devices in the network, most of media network devices are required to be synchronized with the same time, so that the devices can work together in a network.
NBM is non-blocking multicast, it is used to deliver the media stream to the devices in the network.In a traditional network, multicast can only use one of the uplinks (the RPF mechanism) and has no way of sensing if there is congestion on intermediate links or receivers. NBM as the most important part of IPFM to solve this part of the problem, it can define the size of each multicast stream, so as to avoid multicast congestion and can maximize the use of uplink bandwidth.

View solution in original post

Hello Rocky,

As far as I know IPFM is used to replace SDI with IP. Basically, only multicast traffic will be present in an IPFM network, all ports connecting media devices are layer 3 interfaces with PIM, and usually the network is very small. For example, an OB van might only need 2 switches, or a large IPFM might need a SPINE-LEAF architecture. So, you also need have PIM, IGMP and OSPF (or other IGP).

The endpoints are usually media devices, a part we haven't touched on, but from a network perspective they should need to receive or send multicast traffic and need PTP to synchronize time.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dawei
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The two most important features in IPFM solution are: PTP and NBM
PTP is used to synchronize the time of the devices in the network, most of media network devices are required to be synchronized with the same time, so that the devices can work together in a network.
NBM is non-blocking multicast, it is used to deliver the media stream to the devices in the network.In a traditional network, multicast can only use one of the uplinks (the RPF mechanism) and has no way of sensing if there is congestion on intermediate links or receivers. NBM as the most important part of IPFM to solve this part of the problem, it can define the size of each multicast stream, so as to avoid multicast congestion and can maximize the use of uplink bandwidth.

rocky2024
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dawei,

thank you  

to learn IPFM deployment, how to connect endpoint to IPFM network? what configuration required for endpoint ? does it require routing in IPFM ? or switching only ?  

i mean, when we say IPFM, its all about endpoints connectivity to last mile switches or its like Cisco ACI solution ? IPFM is LAN solution (switching only) or IPFM is solution like Cisco ACI (where endpoints are connecting to leaves, then create switch profile, interface profile, AAEP, make vlan pool, then make EPG, BD, Tenant, vrf etc)  combination of routing and switching ? 

what exactly we need to do in IPFM for working solution ?

Hello Rocky,

As far as I know IPFM is used to replace SDI with IP. Basically, only multicast traffic will be present in an IPFM network, all ports connecting media devices are layer 3 interfaces with PIM, and usually the network is very small. For example, an OB van might only need 2 switches, or a large IPFM might need a SPINE-LEAF architecture. So, you also need have PIM, IGMP and OSPF (or other IGP).

The endpoints are usually media devices, a part we haven't touched on, but from a network perspective they should need to receive or send multicast traffic and need PTP to synchronize time.