cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can TLS version be a condition in an authentication or authorization policy?

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I can create policy sets where the TLS version (and possibly even cipher suite) can be a stipulation for success. For example, if a certain group of endpoints support TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2, I could demand that only if they negotiated on TLS 1.2 would authentication succeed.

Thanks!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
It seems like this is a duplicate of another question posted recently. Perhaps on another forum or same from another team member?

Pretty sure the answer is no on this. I will Double check

It’s a global setting so if a client can do 1.2 then it does. If another client can’t it will negotiate lower if ise is set to allow it

View solution in original post

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You will need to enable the TLS version you authorize to communicate (authenticate) with ISE. By default (on version 2.x) it's TLS1.2.

However, you won't be able to do some policies based on TLS version. You can just play with global settings by allowing tls1.0 and tls 1.1 or not.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Confirmed please reach out to the ise product management team for an enhancement

4 Replies 4

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
It seems like this is a duplicate of another question posted recently. Perhaps on another forum or same from another team member?

Pretty sure the answer is no on this. I will Double check

It’s a global setting so if a client can do 1.2 then it does. If another client can’t it will negotiate lower if ise is set to allow it

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You will need to enable the TLS version you authorize to communicate (authenticate) with ISE. By default (on version 2.x) it's TLS1.2.

However, you won't be able to do some policies based on TLS version. You can just play with global settings by allowing tls1.0 and tls 1.1 or not.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hey,

Globally enabling or disabling a TLS version isn't the most granular of approaches, but it's what the product supports.

I sent an enhancement request a few days ago to support authenticating by TLS version as part of an authentication policy, so that certain endpoints can authenticate only with TLS 1.2, others only with TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.0, etc.

This is in part to avoid renegotiation attacks and using susceptible encryption and hash functions. 

I hope someone in Cisco will think it over :)

Confirmed please reach out to the ise product management team for an enhancement