Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How-to add Catalyst 3850 to Fabric

I have a SDA Fabric, running version 2.3.5.3 and want to include some older C3850 (version 16.12.09) to the fabric. Regarding the SDA-Comp. table it should be possible as Fabric-Edge devices. 

For me it doesn't makes a difference if the switch gets added as fabric edge, or extended edge. But i am not able to include the switch at all.

When i try to add the device as fabric-edge and want to make it as a edge-node i get the error: "SDA PubSub does not support Cisco Catalyst 3k/4k devices"

When i try to add the device as extended node, it comes up as a regular node, doesn't get the "EX"-flag. The icon in the fabric-site-view stays white.

On the switch there are two licenses: 3850 IP Base and DNA Advantage

I can't find any how-to or guides how to add the device to the fabric. 

10 Replies 10

Hello,

The supported versions for SDA on 2.3.5.3 (fabric edge) - would try to upgrade to the recommended:

Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series and 3650 Series Switches

C3650 (Copper)

C3650-Stack

C3850 (Copper/Fiber)

C3850-Stack (Copper/Fiber)

IOS XE 16.12.3s IOS XE 16.12.x
IOS XE 16.9.5

IOS XE 16.9.4
IOS XE 16.9.3

IOS XE 16.9.2s
IOS XE 16.9.1s
****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

This is actually 16.12.9. I dont' know why the version is calles 16.12.9 but the file is called 16.12.09:

AndreasWildenauaer_0-1689341947393.png

Hi @Andreas Wildenauer 

When you get this message "SDA PubSub does not support Cisco Catalyst 3k/4k devices"  are you configuring the Control plane?

Are you choosing "Lisp Pub/Sub" ?  Lisp Pub/Sub is supported in IOS-XE 17.6  or newer.

Hi Flavio, Lisp Pub/Sub is used in my deployment, yes. Unfortunatly the newest version for 3850 is the 16.12.9, so  can't upgrade to a 17.x version. Is there a way to not use Lisp Pub/Sub for specfic edge nodes?

It should give you the option Lisp/BGP. 

This is a productive environment with around 70 Edge-nodes.. So i can't change the general backbone routing of the Fabric. I am trying to just add some older 3850 for iOT devices..  

For extended notes, we also have restriction.  Probably 3850 is facing this limitation.

Policy Extended Node devices include Cisco Catalyst Industrial Ethernet (IE) 3400, IE 3400 Heavy Duty
series switches, and Cisco Catalyst 9000 series switches that run Cisco IOS XE Release 17.1.1s or later.

Cisco Digital Building series switches, Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX switches, and Cisco Industrial Ethernet 4000,
4010, and 5000 series switches can't be configured as Policy Extended Nodes.

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Team, 3850 is End of Sale and if at all possible should not be added to a new SD-Access Fabric. As observed above, the last major IOS XE version for 3850 is 16.12 which means many new SD-Access features will be unavailable if 3850 is participating in the SD-Access Fabric. If you absolutely must use 3850 then it could be added as an non-SD-Access switch external to the fabric. The high level principles are discussed on the following Cisco Live presentation: https://www.ciscolive.com/on-demand/on-demand-details.html?#/session/16360602466310017kjm . I suggest not reverting your fabric to LISP/BGP. LISP Pub/Sub is more flexible and more efficient. LISP Pub/Sub will be the focus of Cisco SD-Access control plane innovations moving forward.

@jedolphi Thanks for the link, i understand that the 3850 is out of sale but for my scenario it's the best choice. I need some "dumb" switches to connect some iOT devices to my network. IEs doesn't give me the port densitiy i need and 9K switches are to expensive as i don't need telemetry or deep end-point analytics.  As Cisco is saying that 3850 are working as FEs i would like to use this, i also don't need software-udates or Security fixes as these switches are not reachable for anybody. So i guess i have to configure them with a L2 trunking and out of the fabric... It's a bit dissapointing as Cisco was/is saying that it works, so we bought the licences and now we can't use them.. So there are even licenses for sales for this scenario....

Understood and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Please speak to your SE or AM team regarding the unnecessary licenses/subscriptions, perhaps there's something they can do to resolve it.