cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can putty to Cisco Nexus switches, but can't ssh from secure crt

DSterling
Level 1
Level 1

Recently we updated our Nexus C93180YC-FX to IOS nxos64-cs.10.2.6.m.bin. Prior to the update I could access using secure crt, now I can't access with secure crt, have to use putty.  I did a crypt key generate modulus 2048 and ssh key rsa 2048 force. No change. The result is connection closed, but with putty there is no problem. 

Thank you,

Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DSterling
Level 1
Level 1

I had to update Secure CRT to a newer version, version 9.0.1, it was 8.5

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Show ssh key 

Share this 

MHM

I can't share the ssh key, the Nexus switch is on a secure network. I do see that the bitcount for 2 Nexus switchs I can still access with secure crt is 1024 and for the ones I can only access with putty it's 2048. 

When I do a show crypto key mypubkey rsa on the switches accessable with secure crt there is nothing displayed. 

When I do a show crypto key mypubkey rsa on the switches that are not accessable with secure crt (putty only):                                                                               Key label: SW name                                                                                                                                                                           key size: 2048                                                                                                                                                                                   exportable: no                                                                                                                                                                                   key-pair already generated

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@DSterling wrote:
Recently we updated our Nexus C93180YC-FX to IOS nxos64-cs.10.2.6.m.bin. Prior to the update I could access using secure crt

Look at the error message in the logs of the switch and compare the Key Exchange section of SecureCRT.  I am suspecting diffie-hellman is enabled and is on top of the list.

diffie-hellman is not on, there are other diffe-helman features on, I unchecked them and still no success. I'm thinking it's a RSA key issue, but I'm not sure why. 

I do see that the bitcount for 2 Nexus switchs I can still access with secure crt is 1024 and for the ones I can only access with putty it's 2048. 

When I do a show crypto key mypubkey rsa on the switches accessable with secure crt there is nothing displayed. 

When I do a show crypto key mypubkey rsa on the switches that are not accessable with secure crt (putty only):                                                                               Key label: SW name                                                                                                                                                                           key size: 2048                                                                                                                                                                                   exportable: no                                                                                                                                                                                   key-pair already generated

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

Are you using a saved SecureCRT session?  Have you tried deleting the saved session and then recreating it?  I'll be interested to find out as all of my Nexus switches are currently on 10.2.5.

Richard W. Pidcock

Tried a new session and no success. 

DSterling
Level 1
Level 1

I had to update Secure CRT to a newer version, version 9.0.1, it was 8.5

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card