cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I want add a comment to a voice-port or dial-peer

kbeaton
Level 1
Level 1

Can I add a comment within a voice-port or a dial-peer and if so how?
Something like where I entered "! 2024-04-01 last edited by me"

What would be the command to do this?
!
voice-port 0/0/1
! 2024-04-01 last edited by me
station-id name FamilyMed
station-id number 3608484507
caller-id enable
!

!
dial-peer voice 1001 pots
! 2024-04-01 last edited by me
description Family Med Floor 2 Reception Fax
destination-pattern 4507
port 0/0/1
!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@b.winter is correct that adding a persistent comment on a voice-port is only possible through the description. You'd have to add to the existing description.

If you have copied a startup config directly into flash from an outside source, you can include comments using a ! as you have already noted. That will persist in the startup config in flash, but will not appear in the running-config.

Maren

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Just use the command description ...

Altough, I'm currently not 100% sure, if a voice-port has a description command. If not, then it's not possible to set a description.

Hi b,winter it looks like there's a description field for both voice-port and dial-peer

But it only allows for one description each.

I was hoping we could track changes by adding a not to each

I don't think, that the router itself is the best way for version control. It's not a version control system. There are other tools for that.
And IMHO, to store 100s of different config versions in the router's flash is also not the way to go, to spam the router with config files.
E.g. you could use the automatic config storage function to a file-server, every time you save the config or once a day, and keep track of the differences with just notepad++ or other tools designed for that.

And if you check the first lines of a "show run", you see, who did the last configuration change or who did the last save.

Current configuration : 14343 bytes
!
! Last configuration change at 16:04:43 CEST Fri Apr 5 2024 by administrator
! NVRAM config last updated at 16:04:00 CET Tue Mar 26 2024 by administrator

And yes, this doesn't work, if everybody uses the same user to work on the device.

@b.winter is correct that adding a persistent comment on a voice-port is only possible through the description. You'd have to add to the existing description.

If you have copied a startup config directly into flash from an outside source, you can include comments using a ! as you have already noted. That will persist in the startup config in flash, but will not appear in the running-config.

Maren