cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1552E problem associating with WLC5508

JJBGage
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few 1552E that are either VID 4 or 5.  From what I've read VID 4 was the first version that came with 128MB.  I'm running a WLC5508 with 8.5.182 and the AP supplemental bundle AIR-CT5500-AP_BUNDLE-K9-8-5-182-0.aes is installed.  So I don't understand why the AP won't download the c1550 image.  

I'm using the Cisco power injector to power the AP and have added the BVI1 MAC to WLC. The 1552E is also on the same subnet as the AP. 

As a point of reference, I do have 14 3702-B connected to the 5508.  The 5508 has a license for 500 AP so not an issue there.  The controller attempts to download the 1552E image and then it fails.

The error I get is that the controller failed to download the image , "notify controller!!! From 7.5.1.73 to 0.0.0.0 Failurecode 3."

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JJBGage
Level 1
Level 1

Rich R and Leo L.

Quick update.  I Followed Rich's steps to get the necessary FW and I was able to get what I needed with no issues.  Then I followed Leo's 6 steps for getting the 1552E to associated with my 5508.  Then rebooted the 5508 and just like that, the 1552E associated with the 5508.  Admittedly, there were some details left out. But I was able to piece it together to use TFTP to upload the image on to the AP, etc.

Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@JJBGage wrote:
"notify controller!!! From 7.5.1.73 to 0.0.0.0 Failurecode 3."

1.  Go HERE and download the latest JF15 file.  Store/save the file into a TFTP folder.
2.  Remote into the AP. 
3.  Command:  debug capwap console CLI
4.  Command:  delete /f /r flash:c1550-k9w8*
5.  Command:  archive tar /x tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/c1550-k9w8-tar.153-3.JF15.tar flash:
6.  Once completed, reboot the AP.

Hi Leo,

The file has a little lock next to it and I can't download it.

Ok, how do I get/pay for a Cisco maintenance contract so that I'm able to download the file I need?

Thanks again.

That code, WLC and AP are end of support - you cannot renew or get a new support contract for that now.

You can try searching for that filename.  The only other thing you can try: find a recent security advisory that affects 8.5 code and find the section which says "Customers without Contracts" then email TAC (do not phone) quoting the URL of the advisory, the paragraph just mentioned and the version and URL for the software you want to download and the serial number of your WLC/AP.  Then TAC should publish the software to you directly.

This advisory should be suitable: Cisco Wireless LAN Controller AireOS Software FIPS Mode Denial of Service Vulnerability 

"Customers Without Service Contracts

Customers who purchase directly from Cisco but do not hold a Cisco service contract and customers who make purchases through third-party vendors but are unsuccessful in obtaining fixed software through their point of sale should obtain upgrades by contacting the Cisco TAC: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-worldwide-contacts.html

Customers should have the product serial number available and be prepared to provide the URL of this advisory as evidence of entitlement to a free upgrade."

Note that you are probably being affected by some of the field notices in my signature below.  To resolve these and other bugs you should ideally upgrade to 8.5.182.11 (download link below) but you will encounter the same access problem and the solution is the same as above.  If you request 8.5.182.11 make sure to specify which WLC model you need it for because the download link is for all platforms so TAC will need to know which file you want.

Excellent, thank you for your help!

JJBGage
Level 1
Level 1

Rich R and Leo L.

Quick update.  I Followed Rich's steps to get the necessary FW and I was able to get what I needed with no issues.  Then I followed Leo's 6 steps for getting the 1552E to associated with my 5508.  Then rebooted the 5508 and just like that, the 1552E associated with the 5508.  Admittedly, there were some details left out. But I was able to piece it together to use TFTP to upload the image on to the AP, etc.

Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card